Fracking in Sheffield?

Fracking LawyerFracking In The USAWhat is Fracking?REPORT A CASE

Call Ostroff Injury Law - Logo at (855) 880-6667

HomeFracking Royalty FraudFracking ChemicalsEnvironmental RisksFracking EquipmentFracking Lawsuits

Why Is Worksite Safety Such a Low Priority in the Fracking Industry?

Not only does that advert for an American Injury Law Firm not answer the question, it relates to workplace injuries, and therefore has nothing to do with 'poisonous toxins' which your earlier comment alluded to.

Indeed, it actually states 'The researchers found that the most common fatality for energy workers was traffic accidents, followed by being struck by an object'.

Good news! We don't need fracking. It's a hugely damaging way to get just a few years of gas and then.....what?

Ecotricity have a much more sustainable and long term solution which simply makes gas from grass (and we have plenty of that!). It's ready now and they will put in a planning application on any site where there is a fracking application.

Info on their website:

https://www.ecotricity.co.uk/our-green-energy/our-green-gas

Or in this episode of Fully Charged:

Good news! We don't need fracking. It's a hugely damaging way to get just a few years of gas and then.....what?

Ecotricity have a much more sustainable and long term solution which simply makes gas from grass (and we have plenty of that!). It's ready now and they will put in a planning application on any site where there is a fracking application.

Info on their website:

https://www.ecotricity.co.uk/our-green-energy/our-green-gas

Or in this episode of Fully Charged:

How much energy do you think you are going to get from a field of grass? It's probably even worse than burning waste and photosynthesis is so utterly poor at fixing energy it's invariably way better to just put up a field of solar panels...

Obelix has rather hit the nail on the head of a profoundly silly energy generation idea.

Any energy technology needs to be assessed sensibly.

1. How much pollution does it produce and how much CO2.

2. What does it cost per MWh. (including indirect intermittency costs)

3. When will it run out.

If you ignore 2, you price people out of energy, which is devastating for them. You also make everybody poorer which is serious.

If you ignore 1, you wreck the environment which is obviously no good.

This is why I always favour nuclear. It's expensive, but the true cost is lower than other CO2-free systems, it will not run out for centuries, and the pollution is manageable and small.

Fracking is masses cheaper, the pollution is also manageable and small and the CO2 is low.

Now crucially the UK (and Europe as a whole) is very fond of renewables. I mean actual renewables here rather than biofuels (burning trees) which are a horrific source of energy on every count. These renewables require backup as they produce energy randomly, and this can only really be done with specially built gas power stations.

So if you like real renewables, then you need gas. You also need gas to keep energy affordable. So if you don't frack it you're importing it, which adds transport costs and environmental damage to everything else.

Or you could come join the nuclear fan club and look forward to a permanent solution to our energy problems. But I won't hold my breath as you've all be indoctrinated by the lunatic green idiots.

Edited by unbeliever

Not to mention the radioactive and other toxic waste they want to dump down the wells. :(

More lies, unless you can provide evidence to back this up.

In the UK only 'Non-Hazardous' chemicals are permitted for fracturing fluids by the Environment Agency. All chemicals have to be declared publicly.

How much energy do you think you are going to get from a field of grass? It's probably even worse than burning waste and photosynthesis is so utterly poor at fixing energy it's invariably way better to just put up a field of solar panels...

They have calculated that they can fulfil the entire UK gas needs using this method. I'm sure they'll be happy to provide you with some detailed documents if you ask. There's no point in playing guessing games.

I agree it's likely that solar would be preferable, but that is electricity. The UK has a gas network as well and people will continue using gas for some time. Over time, however, we may find that gas usage declines in favour of electricity.

Edited by Flexo

They have calculated that they can fulfil the entire UK gas needs using this method. I'm sure they'll be happy to provide you with some detailed documents if you ask.

There's no point in playing guessing games to leap to negative conclusions from a position of ignorance.

Whose arguing from a position of ignorance?

Whose arguing from a position of ignorance?

Crikey you are quick off the draw today! I already modified that. However, as you asked about how much energy you can get from grass, and they have the answer, it would be a good idea to accept that they have worked it out already - and check their calculations if you wish.

Crikey you are quick off the draw today! I already modified that. However, as you asked about how much energy you can get from grass, and they have the answer, it would be a good idea to accept that they have worked it out already - and check their calculations if you wish.

You misunderstand my point. I've not asked about how much energy you get from grass - I already know the answer. You probably could grow enough grass to generate enough gas to supply the UK's gas demand. But that is a massively inefficient use of land that we need for stuff like food crops.

Putting up solar panels at typically 20-25% totally efficiency is way way better than the 3% to 6% efficiency that photosynthesis creates, then you will have the losses in conversion to gas which will bring that down to 2% to 4%

You misunderstand my point. I've not asked about how much energy you get from grass - I already know the answer. You probably could grow enough grass to generate enough gas to supply the UK's gas demand. But that is a massively inefficient use of land that we need for stuff like food crops.

Yes I did.

Your point about efficiency of land use is in the Green Gas Report on Ecotricity's website.

They do seem to have thought this through rather well and describe significant benefits for the environment and rural economy.

Compared with fracking, this looks marvellous. In the "Interviews with Dale" page on their website, Ecotricity's founder explains why and how they are going head-on against fracking.

Putting up solar panels at typically 20-25% totally efficiency is way way better than the 3% to 6% efficiency that photosynthesis creates, then you will have the losses in conversion to gas which will bring that down to 2% to 4%

Seems reasonable. The need for heating is highest in winter; the solar production is highest in summer; we'd be better off with passivhaus houses which do not need heating. It's all a mix and we need to nudge it along in a sustainable direction.