Fracking in Sheffield?

No really, it doesn't. It has some waste that greenies make out to be really serious driven by their ideology, ignorance, and sheer bloody mindedness. Dealing with nuclear waste is trivially easy.

Dealing with nuclear waste is trivially easy?

Then why don't we have any national long-term plan for dealing with it?

Even the French who have a good record of reprocessing don't have any long-term storage in place yet.

There is nothing trivial about it.

---------- Post added 25-07-2013 at 22:46 ----------

It produces surprisingly little waste in a modern reactor

We don't have many modern reactors. Modern ones seem impossible to build - companies that were lined up keep pulling out.

Dealing with nuclear waste is trivially easy?

Then why don't we have any national long-term plan for dealing with it?

Even the French who have a good record of reprocessing don't have any long-term storage in place yet.

There is nothing trivial about it.

---------- Post added 25-07-2013 at 22:46 ----------

We don't have many modern reactors. Modern ones seem impossible to build - companies that were lined up keep pulling out.

Dealing with the waste is easy. You stick it in a large hole in the ground and cover it in clay.

Dealing with the greenies is less easy. Sadly they seem to be able to tell lies and escape the consequences and as such they can wilfully misrepresent the facts and whine and pule like anything whilst the Govt panders to their feelings.

Me, I'd prosecute the buggers as soon as they did tell porkies and bang them up but that's probably upset more of the bunny huggers.

Dealing with the waste is easy. You stick it in a large hole in the ground and cover it in clay.

Dealing with the greenies is less easy. Sadly they seem to be able to tell lies and escape the consequences and as such they can wilfully misrepresent the facts and whine and pule like anything whilst the Govt panders to their feelings.

Me, I'd prosecute the buggers as soon as they did tell porkies and bang them up but that's probably upset more of the bunny huggers.

Where are the holes in the ground?

How much waste is in them?

I refer you to the answers I've given before. Come on, don't play foolish I credited you with more smarts than that.

I looked. Can't find anything about locations of deep storage facilities or the amount of waste contained in them.

Provide a link. I'll take a look.

We were never discussing holes in the ground. We were discussing why there are no long term plans and the answer is as I've said, whiny pig ignorant greenies.

But then again you like misrepresenting people so you don't have to answer awkward questions so I shouldnt be surprised.

I looked. Can't find anything about locations of deep storage facilities or the amount of waste contained in them.

Provide a link. I'll take a look.

Massive ones at Hatfield and Thorne near Doncaster, also beneath Manvers Lake and at Treeton. Concrete lined, ready to go. Sorry forgot, Grimethorpe also.

Coal mines are not really suitable though as they tend to leach water through sedimentary structures. A decent deep granite repository would be seal and forget...

Great. But where are they? How many have been built?