Fracking in Sheffield?

Another point, made in newspaper reports and on BBC Radio news: coal extraction in the North was perfectly acceptable, and it provided lots of spinoff benefits (not the least being major employment). So why's fracking different, eh?

Kent had an extensive coalfield so the drilling for oil and gas in the south shouldn't be a problem, eh?

Understand how rubbish your argument is now?

Another point, made in newspaper reports and on BBC Radio news: coal extraction in the North was perfectly acceptable, and it provided lots of spinoff benefits (not the least being major employment). So why's fracking different, eh?

I remember my father coughing up his lungs as one of those.

One part of the answer is inside your brackets. How many jobs will fracking create?

I'll lay a tenner it's a pretty small fraction of the number that were employed in mining coal.

Just like the small number who benefitted from North Sea gas & Oil.

Just like the small number who benefited from North Sea gas & Oil.

Quite. A huge number of British people benefited from working in North Sea oil & gas and not only in Britain. All over the world there are now British people (with a large percentage Scots) working in the oil and gas business.

Due to the international nature of the business a lot live in the UK and travel to work overseas, bringing in money to spend in the UK and generally benefiting the economy.

The North Sea was over the horizon, out of sight and out of mind. Now that the oil & gas business is set to become a lot more visible with onshore drilling and people don't like it.

Quite. A huge number of British people benefited from working in North Sea oil & gas and not only in Britain. All over the world there are now British people (with a large percentage Scots) working in the oil and gas business.

Due to the international nature of the business a lot live in the UK and travel to work overseas, bringing in money to spend in the UK and generally benefiting the economy.

The North Sea was over the horizon, out of sight and out of mind. Now that the oil & gas business is set to become a lot more visible with onshore drilling and people don't like it.

Coal mining was a huge industry that employed a lot of people far more than the North Sea operation but few of them got rich from coal mining, those who owned the mines got very rich (Go and look at Ringwood Hall then go and look where the miners lived around Stavely).

---------- Post added 03-08-2013 at 10:05 ----------

One part of the answer is inside your brackets. How many jobs will fracking create?

I'll lay a tenner it's a pretty small fraction of the number that were employed in mining coal.

So that means yet even more money for the Fat Cats, for once you've said something that makes sense (Couldn't find a smiley for a firework display).

>> Balcombe resident Jacky Hall said the protesters were "primarily outsiders". <<

What does it matter if they were outsiders or insiders?

The point is that some people are just too dumb and stupid to know what is happening under their noses, or care what the future holds for their children and grandchildren, and if it wasn't for ''outsiders' they would already have been lined up for the chip. Can't they see what is happening around them?

Houses repossessed and Capitalist investments abroad taking the ability to earn and put bread in our children's mouths. Record number of people homeless and living on the streets having to rely on food aid. Do you think this will not happen to us??? Carry on vilifying the outsiders who are fighting for us, and see where it all ends!

And protesting against drilling for gas is related to any of those things?

---------- Post added 03-08-2013 at 11:35 ----------

Just like the small number who benefitted from North Sea gas & Oil.

Still refusing to account for the massive amount of tax revenue that was generated?

And protesting against drilling for gas is related to any of those things?

Still refusing to account for the massive amount of tax revenue that was generated?

It's the governments that spent it that need to account for it.

Where's our sovereign wealth fund? Why is our energy infrastructure creaking? Why is our infrastructure in general under pressure?

Where did all the money go?

You at least acknowledge that it existed. I'm not claiming that the governments of the time made wise spending decisions. But the fact is that they did receive revenue from the oil, and without it the country as a whole would have had less money to spend.

Whether they spent it on roads, nukes, the NHS, or just p*ssed it up a wall, I don't know.

But the country as a whole was richer for having that tax income.

Looking forward, fracking will also provide a lot of tax revenue, it will pay a lot of people (who pay tax), they will spend their income and the economy will benefit.

We have to hold the government at the time accountable for the use of all this tax income, but that's the same no matter where it comes from.

There can't be any argument that the country will receive income though.

You at least acknowledge that it existed. I'm not claiming that the governments of the time made wise spending decisions. But the fact is that they did receive revenue from the oil, and without it the country as a whole would have had less money to spend.

Whether they spent it on roads, nukes, the NHS, or just p*ssed it up a wall, I don't know.

But the country as a whole was richer for having that tax income.

Looking forward, fracking will also provide a lot of tax revenue, it will pay a lot of people (who pay tax), they will spend their income and the economy will benefit.

We have to hold the government at the time accountable for the use of all this tax income, but that's the same no matter where it comes from.

There can't be any argument that the country will receive income though.

I wouldn't describe us as richer. The revenue was wasted. It will be wasted again.

Osborne is already spending the money.