Fracking in Sheffield?

I respect people who protest but Im sure they didnt all walk to the site.

The problem with people who protest against environmental issues is that they rarely have a alternative solution. Its usually huge global companies that are spending billions researching new ways to find the resources to fuel our energy consuming lifes and solutions have to be found. If you dont want to be charged £5 to boil your kettle by the middle east then the UK needs to find as many available sources to trade with.

Are we all meant to all sit around in a circle holding hands & singing kumbaya?

How will you come onto SF to complain if you havent got any power in your house.

I wouldn't describe us as richer. The revenue was wasted. It will be wasted again.

Osborne is already spending the money.

Is it spent on something for which we gain nothing? Would the money NOT be spent anyway (funded by borrowing, or more cuts).

Because you're basically arguing that the government are incapable of running the country. They certainly aren't perfect. But I disagree that the tax revenue raised will not benefit us all.

Still refusing to account for the massive amount of tax revenue that was generated?

Well where did it go if our prime minister had to go to the world bank cap in hand to borrow money when North Sea Gas & Oil were in full flow?

The Tories must love people like you. Even our dustbins won't take owt in these days, they're selective with what they'll take in.

---------- Post added 03-08-2013 at 17:45 ----------

Is it spent on something for which we gain nothing? Would the money NOT be spent anyway (funded by borrowing, or more cuts).

Because you're basically arguing that the government are incapable of running the country. They certainly aren't perfect. But I disagree that the tax revenue raised will not benefit us all.

So tell us what the money went on during the North Sea Bonanza years if the PM had to borrow money.

Come on do tell us what the UK rating would have been without the money we didn't receive but the fat cats did?

Edited by Peer Gynt

How is fracking tax revenue going to transform the way the government operates?

Lots of anti-fracking videos on the YouTube FrackOff channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/Frackoffuk

Why don't we use nuclear energy instead? It's much cleaner and doesn't pollute groundwater. It has to come to that in the long run, anyhow, 'cos gas will run out. We could start with fission and work our way towards fusion one day, hopefully. Luvvly jubbly!

Edited by woolyhead

Why don't we use nuclear energy instead? It's much cleaner and doesn't pollute groundwater. It has to come to that in the long run, anyhow, 'cos gas will run out. We could start with fission and work our way towards fusion one day, hopefully. Luvvly jubbly!

Because it's stupid. And it has a poor track record.

The revenue from North Sea Gas and oil that the government received after taxing production at knock-down prices was squandered by Thatcher on paying incapacity benefit to redundant steelworkers and miners she threw out of work, to keep them from being counted among the unemployed. Now Cameron and co are busy vilifying the same people as workshy scroungers and removing their benefits. He wouldn't remember of course, before his time.

That's simply not true. It's clearly the better way forward and it has an excellent safety record. Look at Fukukshima for an example.

---------- Post added 03-08-2013 at 23:46 ----------

How is fracking tax revenue going to transform the way the government operates?

I didn't suggest that it is.

However, if the revenue isn't there then they will simply borrow more.

So how is having that revenue not going to make the country better off.

You seem to be arguing (to use the family analogy) that a family that gets an additional income, isn't better off, because the husband spends it all down the betting shop.

His gambling habit and wasting the extra income doesn't mean that they didn't have extra income.

---------- Post added 03-08-2013 at 23:48 ----------

Well where did it go if our prime minister had to go to the world bank cap in hand to borrow money when North Sea Gas & Oil were in full flow?

I don't know, and I never claimed to know, you tell me.

The Tories must love people like you. Even our dustbins won't take owt in these days, they're selective with what they'll take in.

---------- Post added 03-08-2013 at 17:45 ----------

So tell us what the money went on during the North Sea Bonanza years if the PM had to borrow money.

If they didn't have that income, would they have had to borrow more?

You won't answer that of course, but it proves my point.

Come on do tell us what the UK rating would have been without the money we didn't receive but the fat cats did?

You're claiming that there was no tax revenue from companies exploiting north sea oil. Don't be ridiculous.

I'm not trying to claim all is well with the world and that fracking will secure our glorious future. But you're just being ridiculous.

Really?

Like coal?

and Hydro?

Both of which have killed far more people than nuclear power...

---------- Post added 04-08-2013 at 01:58 ----------

Fukushima a good example of nuclear safety?

Cyclone, with all due respect I think you've gone insane.

You mean a plant that despite suffering an earthquake way beyond design parameters, and then being flooded by an tsunami way above design parameters, and then being left to it's own devices still didn't manage to do anything close to what the chicken little, the sky is falling people claimed...