Fracking in Sheffield?

With the rare earths the use of their 'scarcity' as an argument for fracking is idiotic. They are not rare. In fact there is over-supply at the moment with low prices and some mining companies ramping down production because of falling demand. The only way the argument makes any sense is in the context of Chinese near-monopoly of the supply of them. Or perhaps in the context of misuse for unnecessary consumer electronics. But that is something that with forward planning can be rectified because the elements are abundant in many places, it just requires a lead time to construct the mining operations. But if we are serious about using renewables we should be securing supply for production of green energy products.

Moon draws growing interest as a potential source of rare minerals.

Interest in materials known as rare earth elements surged when China temporarily blocked exports in 2010. Manufacturers started looking everywhere for new supplies of gadolinium and terbium and other elements used in televisions, hybrid car batteries and many other products. The search took them to such places as California, the Pacific ocean floor and the moon. The moon’s stock is up even among politicians, as Newt Gingrich and Mitt Romney recently sparred over whether it makes sense to invest in lunar mining.

How long before we are mining the moon?

I'm not sure what to make of this story.

Church of England in 'fracking land-grab'

The Church of England has begun legal action to claim ancient mineral rights beneath thousands of homes and farms, prompting fears the church could seek to cash in on fracking.

Are they planning to cash in or will they block attempts to frack on land they have the rights over.

In some respects the church is a corporate monster in cahoots with other corporate interests. That became clear during occupy when the organisation nearly tore itself apart over whether to use physical force to eject the protesters. There were many in the church only too happy to get the heavies in, to help their neighbours in the City.

I read something else interesting recently. The coast around Britain has some of the strongest tides in the world, perhaps enough to provide 20% of our energy using tidal power. The party set to benefit the most is the Crown Estate which owns almost the entire seabed in our coastal waters, up to 12 miles out.

Edited by I1L2T3

So come on tell us why did our PM have to go borrowing money if we benefitted so much from the North sea Oil & Gas.

Or to look at it the other way round what state would the country have been in without North Sea Oil and Gas if our PM had to go borrowing money from the world bank when it was in full flow.

Would we have been getting Overseas Aid from Bongo, Bongo Land?

Peak oil and gas from the North sea was around 1999 and at that time government borrowing was low, I think we even had a surplus. This would imply that the money made from North sea oil and gas was in actual fact spent on public services.

Any way all this scaremongering is a load of Bull ****, did the North sea drop due to the extraction of oil and gas, no, it actually rose which means that those living in areas where Fracking will take place will live in a more elevated position.

Any way all this scaremongering is a load of Bull ****, did the North sea drop due to the extraction of oil and gas, no, it actually rose which means that those living in areas where Fracking will take place will live in a more elevated position.

So tracking will cause very significant ground movement? News to me. Will that cause structural problems in buildings?

Peak oil and gas from the North sea was around 1999 and at that time government borrowing was low, I think we even had a surplus. This would imply that the money made from North sea oil and gas was in actual fact spent on public services.

So it was hardly flowing when Callaghan went to the world bank? Considering that most of the UK was running on North Sea gas by the end of the 70s maybe you'd like to tell us where the money went and what state we would we have been in without it.

I know for a fact that gas appliances in our house were converted in the very early 70s within 3 years of me leaving the army in 1969.

---------- Post added 16-08-2013 at 09:48 ----------

So tracking will cause very significant ground movement? News to me. Will that cause structural problems in buildings?

No, I'm just repeating what the scaremongers claim, all I said was that the North sea didn't collapse it rose and is still rising today so by that actual proof land over Fracking sites will rise as well.:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Edited by Peer Gynt

So it was hardly flowing when Callaghan went to the world bank? Considering that most of the UK was running on North Sea gas by the end of the 70s maybe you'd like to tell us where the money went and what state we would we have been in without it.

I know for a fact that gas appliances in our house were converted in the very early 70s within 3 years of me leaving the army in 1969.

I would think the money went to the share holders of the companies extracting it and the government, it would have then been spent in local businesses and the public sector.

Where do you think it went?

I would think the money went to the share holders of the companies extracting it and the government, it would have then been spent in local businesses and the public sector.

Well that's what I keep asking, if our PM had to go begging to the world bank where was the money going and what financial state would we have been in without North Sea Oil & Gas.

Simple question, shouldn't be too difficult to grasp or am I being a racist/Homophobe/Islamaphobe, you know the usual cards that are played when someone asks a serious question?

Bermuda, Jersey, Cayman Islands etc...

Take your pick.