Fracking in Sheffield?

Why is fracking 'wrong'?

Was fracturing coal seams and extracting the stuff manually (which caused one or three landslips and a lot of deaths) wrong?

Did you ever protest against coal mining?

We're both clearly wasting our time conversing. :roll:

You've completely lost me with the bolded paragraphs, nowhere did i mention either.

Fracking is wrong, only those with an interest would disagree.

It's that black and white for me.

I have an interest in the country making use of its mineral wealth.

If you're going to pretend that anyone disagrees has a financial interest beyond that then you're only fooling yourself.

Oh dear, where to start...

How does the gas 'seep' with thousands of feet of rock above it? Where has this ever happened? I'd like a reference to an actual case please.

And where exactly was the site where 12% of the gas was lost to the atmosphere?

This is one of the site.

Thousands of gas wells have been drilled in Utah's Uintah basin. An investigation by NOAA & CIRES found that 6% to 12% of the gas produced near Ouray (by hydrofracturing) escaped to the atmosphere raising methane concentrations in air to shockingly high levels.

Methane leaks during production may offset climate benefits of natural gas.

---------- Post added 21-08-2013 at 07:59 ----------

Fracking may have caused more than 100 earthquakes in a small town which had never had a tremor in its 235-year history, experts believe.

And earthquakes are natures way of fracking and releasing methane into the atmosphere. Scientists refer to this as natural seepage that occurs through seismic activity, or earthquakes, which release the pressurized gas and send it up through cracks in the Earth then out into the atmosphere.

Edited by angos

It's a valid question Megalithic....coalmining produced earth tremors via subsidence and the water that was pumped out of mines contained sulphuric acid (from pyrites) and other contaminants that would other wise have been undisturbed..

So they'd prefer to leave us with no power from coal, gas, oil, fracking, and nuclear; leaving what sources, pray?

Bioyoghurt burners and an unpredictable wind supply. And if Bellamy gets his way they'll be banned as well.

---------- Post added 21-08-2013 at 17:58 ----------

Why?

It's a valid question - coal mining and shale gas have exactly the same effects.

Could it possibly be that coal mining gives work to honest people rather than these neboulous fat cats and is therefore more acceptable, despite the rather obvious problems that it creates?

So they'd prefer to leave us with no power from coal, gas, oil, fracking, and nuclear; leaving what sources, pray?

You must have seen those Wind-Up Torch's and radio's, just up the scale and have wind-up everything. :)

---------- Post added 21-08-2013 at 18:00 ----------

Bioyoghurt burners and an unpredictable wind supply. And if Bellamy gets his way they'll be banned as well.

---------- Post added 21-08-2013 at 17:58 ----------

Why?

It's a valid question - coal mining and shale gas have exactly the same effects.

Could it possibly be that coal mining gives work to honest people rather than these neboulous fat cats and is therefore more acceptable, despite the rather obvious problems that it creates?

Coal mining acceptable? it should have been left were it was.

It's a valid question Megalithic....coalmining produced earth tremors via subsidence and the water that was pumped out of mines contained sulphuric acid (from pyrites) and other contaminants that would other wise have been undisturbed..

Undeniably coal mining as practiced on an extensive scale was polluting and very environmentally damaging. But the upside was it provided many jobs and bound communities together for decades. Once a deep mine was established the lifespan was measured in decades.

Despite the economic upside like I said mines were often polluting. Is the argument that they were a solid enough one for fracking to re-establish a whole new era of environmental risks?