Fracking in Sheffield?

I don't think it's really worth arguing about methane release at all... It appears that all fossil fuel extraction releases methane, and cow farts release nearly as much!

Does fracking release more than alternatives, probably not.

Does the release of methane mean that it's somehow unsafe, definitely not.

Even if it does release methane, you have to balance that against the lower CO2 emission from burning methane as opposed to oil or coal. I'm not sure what the break even point would be, but if it only releases the same amount as a coal mine does for example then it's clearly far more preferable than burning coal.

I walk on the land from three very nice ex coal mines, Manvous, Edlington and Silverwood, they are no longer blighted by the mines that once stood there. Quarries, mines and open cast mines are landscaped and brought back into use once mining is over.

Genuine question here as you seem to be the methane expert.. are all the disused workings completely inert or do they still release methane?

Genuine question here as you seem to be the methane expert.. are all the disused workings completely inert or do they still release methane?

No they are not inert and Methane will continue to escape from disused mine working.

Edited by angos

No they are not inert and Methane will continue to escape from disused mine working.

In a previous post (in fact the one I quoted) you said these areas were no longer blighted by the mines that were once there...so methane is not a problem? You're sending out a very confusing message... :confused:

In a previous post (in fact the one I quoted) you said these areas were no longer blighted by the mines that were once there...so methane is not a problem? You're sending out a very confusing message... :confused:

Look at the post I answered and you will have a better understanding of my response.

Or are you just being pedantic?

---------- Post added 23-08-2013 at 13:42 ----------

Oh dear the flat earth society will want cattle banning next.

Don't be silly, why ban them when they can be fitted with one of these methane capture devices. :)

Look at the post I answered and you will have a better understanding of my response.

Or are you just being pedantic?

Not being pedantic at all.. you said the areas were "no longer blighted".. you also said that methane was being constantly released from old mine workings.. this means either

a) You're wrong about methane being released

b) You're wrong about the areas not being blighted

c) methane isn't a problem

If the answer is "c" then why is the methane from old mine workings "safer" than that which may be released by fracking? I'm struggling to work out your logic...genuinely...

Don't be silly, why ban them when they can be fitted with one of these methane capture devices. :)

Do you think if we drilled a hole at the back and put a match to it the cow would fly or have the fat cats got that market cornered too?

I can just imagine cows whizzing around if some vandals/hooligans got into the field. I can then just imagine shouts of "Look at mine it's just looped the loop"

Edited by Peer Gynt