Fracking in Sheffield?

We should stop it and concentrate on renewables.

We so shouldn't. They are a massive waste of public money and inappropriate for most of our power needs.

---------- Post added 28-08-2013 at 08:29 ----------

Stop it.

Those supporting it are mentalists. Nothing more. :(

Anyone opposed to it is a mentalist. Nothing more.

---------- Post added 28-08-2013 at 08:32 ----------

I'm not so sure! If you have really good health care, that's likely to extend your lifespan and conversely, if you starve to death as an infant, then your lifespan will be rather short.

Nobody in Britain today is forced to live on a diet of deep-fried Mars Bars, excessive amounts of fatty food or any other unhealthy diet. If they do so, that's through choice. 'Poor nutrition' is largely a matter of choice.

Fresh vegetables cost rather less than McFattyburgers anywhere in the country.

If people don't know how to cook vegetables, that's not the fault of the government. The government was not their Mum & Dad and anyway, the government (read 'the taxpayer') provided them with 11 years of free schooling and there are books on cooking readily available in every library and there is no shortage of information on the Internet.

The working class can have exactly the same life expectancy as the rich. The rich, too, have to do exercise to get (and stay) fit. (You can't pay somebody else to do the exercise for you. :hihi: )

I suspect that there is (or may be) something else which tends to promote a long lifespan. It's not 'inherited wealth'.

I live (for 7 months of the year) in a retirement community. Some of the people there are a bit older than Methuselah! They are, predominantly, people who have been 'achievers' throughout their lives.

Ordinarily, I go to a reunion in Lincoln during the first weekend of September. I see people I used to work with, people who came after me and people who worked there long before I was born. - Some of them are (just about) old enough to be my grandfather!

Few of them were born rich - though some became wealthy (through their own efforts) in later life.

Why do they live for so long? What is the secret to their longevity?

Could it be that when they got old (and maybe got sick, too) they wouldn't give up?

My father started having strokes when he was in his early 50s. He was tough and he survived them. Then he moved on to heart attacks (had a few of those, too.) - But he gave up on life and sat in a chair. He lived until he was 70. - He'd given up by then.

I suspect (and I hope I'm right) that 'willpower' (Or rather "I'm not bloody giving up yet" power) is what keeps people alive.

If you went through life with the attitude: "I'm going to succeed' (not so far removed from "I'm not bloody giving up yet!") then perhaps you will live longer than many others?

If that's so, then longevity is not so much a matter of 'being born into a wealthy family' as being a matter of personal decisions.

All things being equal, A type personalities have a shorter life expectancy than B type, due to putting themselves under higher stress.

Despite your analysis the fact remains that the well off DO have longer average lifespans than the poor, and that's not down to child mortality affecting the figures.

---------- Post added 28-08-2013 at 08:37 ----------

The rich have always lived longer thanks to good nutrition and better health. So yes a few have always lived into their eighties. But to say that infant mortality is equalled by the long lived is a distortion.

Since reliable records began in the late 1700's, the average life expectancy for the working class has been late thirties, early forties, rising to 66 in the 1930's

The welfare state and healthcare for all is responsible for pushing that up to 80ish. Don't you think that it is only fair that the working class should now be able to expect a similar lifespan to the rich (though it still isn't actually equal.)

You seem to have a rosy image of pre industrial life, but in reality it was hard, dirty, disease ridden and short. We have come a long way thanks to ever improving technology. Not that it's been without cost, but we have learned many lessons from our mistakes.

It is a difficult and delicate balance between progress and payment. It's right that it should be debated and properly discussed, but to stand in the way of all future development is just as wrong as an unfettered free-for-all.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-scientific-fundamentalist/200811/common-misconceptions-about-science-ii-life-expectancy

Interesting read on the topic.

• 3 months later...
when fracking gets the go ahead will cameron do what thatcher started and sell it off? or should we keep it and earn money for uk plc.

The Norwegian Government invested their oil money very well, they now even own 50% of Meadowhell.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/constructionandproperty/9577352/Norway-buys-stake-in-UK-shopping-mall.html

when fracking gets the go ahead will cameron do what thatcher started and sell it off? or should we keep it and earn money for uk plc.

As a Tory he is duty bound to line the pockets of his Eton buddies and to hell with whats good for rest of us!

I thought it had already been sold off, it's not "state owned" gas that will be fracked.

Maybe the French or Chinese would like it and maybe we could guarantee them twice the going rate like we have have for nuclear power.

It's a mistake to completely sell it off, as it's unlikely a good price for it can be achieved.

It's also a mistake to leave it in public hands, to be meddled with by petty, small-minded bickering politicians.

---------- Post added 18-12-2013 at 21:07 ----------

It's a mistake to completely sell it off, as it's unlikely a good price for it can be achieved.

It's also a mistake to leave it in public hands, to be meddled with by petty, small-minded bickering politicians.

---------- Post added 18-12-2013 at 21:07 ----------

I agree it would be a big mistake to sell it off.

What would happen if it started to damage the land? Would we be able to stop a foreign owner from continuing the fracking?