Fracking in Sheffield?

And it was only after the quakes that the people of Blackpool will have contacted the media and they looked into possible causes, the media report on events that happen, the quakes didn't start because the media wanted a story.

The quakes were so small that only one person felt it. They were detected by seismographs.

---------- Post added 20-12-2013 at 12:48 ----------

Here you go. The Blackpool (Preese Hall site,Weeton) one was started in August 2010. However, its only when the earth tremors happened in 2011 that it suddenly became news.

I can't find the details of the 2008 one, but its one Cuadrilla inherited from another company.

Can you believe one of the sites has been operating since 1993?

No earthquakes, no exploding water from taps, no death and destruction. Don't you love our one sided media!

http://www.cuadrillaresources.com/our-sites/elswick/

The fracking in sandstone is normal fracking that's been going on for decades. It's getting gas from shale that's new, which in the industry is called 'Unconventional Gas'. It's a better term because it distinguishes the new technology from the old.

Yes its doing wonders in the USA, poisoning the water, earthquakes in Texas, which is both good and bad. Its bad for the poor people not rich enough to live in the cities, adn very good for the companies who are into grabbing as much as they can as quickly as they can and then disappearing.

Its a scam, untested, and if tested would delay the process, and we will all end up paying for the clean up, like with nuclear which was also going to be so cheap it would not be worth charging for it.

Than god for privatisation where the people can like fracking be exploited to death.

I

There's no assurances that peoples homes won't suffer structural damage if there is increased earth tremors and if they pollute the water tables there will be a whole load of issues that will be hard to undo.

Genuine question here...were you against coal mining under people's properties...?

Genuine question here...were you against coal mining under people's properties...?

I didn't have a say in it, it was going on for years before my time and by the time I was old enough to know what a piece of coal was Thatcher closed the pits down.

In all honesty, I don't think its the same thing is it ?

Of course it's not the same thing.

I'm ambivalent about fracking and haven't made my mind up yet. I discount the regular objections from anti-fracking campaigners such as pollution and earthquakes.

What I have my doubts about is the impact on the English rural landscape which is a delicate thing and already under threat from increasing urbanisation and industrialisation. The number of drilling sites could be very large and then there will be the all the roads needed for access.

[This is the reason I object to wind farms as they destroy our landscape which is a precious thing.]

It would be possible to drill more wells from fewer sites with extended reach wells, but this would cost more. I know about this stuff because it's my line of business, drilling directional oil and gas wells. I've drilled plenty of wells worldwide, but I've never been involved with shale gas as it's a new thing.

It would also be possible to put an obligation on the production companies to restore all sites and roads to their pre-existing state once they were finished with. This is what happens with onshore drilling in Germany and Holland.

But putting these obligations on the companies involved would cost them money and I don't see the government insisting on it even though the companies could well afford it from the big profits they will make.

Edited by Nagel

I didn't have a say in it, it was going on for years before my time and by the time I was old enough to know what a piece of coal was Thatcher closed the pits down.

Coal mining causes subsidence under people's homes....is that different to the very small tremors that may be caused by fracking?

• 3 weeks later...

Where are the protesters? These dangerous practices need to be stopped immediately!

Same here:

Peak District sinkhole appears in Foolow, Derbyshire

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-25559718

The hole, believed to be about 160ft (49m) wide and 130ft (40m) deep, was caused by mining in the area, according to landowner British Fluorspar.