Fracking in Sheffield?

It's just licences for prospecting but every fracking site will be a battlefield for protestors and the frackers.

Nobody really wants it happening near them. Think of the effect on house prices.

It will unite the swampy types and home owners like nothing before.

And there is just one hidden cost, besides the cost of rigorous environmental regulation. There just won't be enough coppers and G4S bods to secure and police the whole thing.

They should start drilling in numerous sites at the same time, split the protestors.

---------- Post added 13-01-2014 at 10:34 ----------

Where are the protesters? These dangerous practices need to be stopped immediately!

Same here:

Peak District sinkhole appears in Foolow, Derbyshire

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-25559718

Don't be daft, we needed mines years ago and we need natural resources now.

Frack on.

Aren't the sort of shallow mines that caused that sinkhole hundreds of years old??

Otherwise the national coal board and stuff would know about it.

I just remember reading out document from the national coal board, saying although it didn't know of any mines under our house it cannot guarantee that there weren't any old shallow mines in the vicinity because they weren't recorded.

---------- Post added 13-01-2014 at 13:20 ----------

Looks like the government are waving cash under the noses of councils to get fracking moving.

I expect several are looking again after having their budgets slashed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25705550

Edited by geared

Aren't the sort of shallow mines that caused that sinkhole hundreds of years old??

Otherwise the national coal board and stuff would know about it.

I just remember reading out document from the national coal board, saying although it didn't know of any mines under our house it cannot guarantee that there weren't any old shallow mines in the vicinity because they weren't recorded.

---------- Post added 13-01-2014 at 13:20 ----------

Looks like the government are waving cash under the noses of councils to get fracking moving.

I expect several are looking again after having their budgets slashed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25705550

I sincerely hope the government don't just give money to councils. Just think what Sheffield would do with a sudden inflix of cash.

Get your facts right :roll:

I may be of limited intelligence, but I do believe it was a tsunami not an earthquake.

Two entirely different things.

Well technically it was a Tsunami triggered by Tōhoku earthquake, so I'm not entirely wrong :P:P:P