Fracking in Sheffield?

Fracking sites produce methane, which is a source of energy. If you want to split hairs, fine. You get full marks in the tedious poster competition.

Now, tell me, why is fracking so much worse that coal mining, or quarrying, or extracting rare earth metals for the purpose of energy generation? Maybe it is because most of these take place far far away.

Where I grew up, we put up with some smells, some noise and a bit of subsidence to provide energy for the country. That is the basis of the wealth that we all share in today. Fracking is no different, why be scared of it?

Make no mistake. If there is gas down there waiting to be fracked, it will be exploited.

Methane is not energy. That's like saying oil or peat is energy. You know I'm right.

I think it's disgusting that they can drill sideways and pillage the area beneath your property. Who the hell gave them the right to put peoples property at risk. :rant:

That's what I do for a living, drill sideways. The longest one I ever did was a bit over 5 miles horizontal.

Under peoples houses too sometimes. :o

Which of the chemicals do you object to most? Why?

Let me turn that round, and ask why our local authorities have no knowledge of what they'll pump into the ground, as it's a proprietary agent/trade secret, just like the Coca Cola recipe, which is convenient isn't it.

Serious question. do you trust these people implicitly ? I feel we 100% need to.

---------- Post added 21-01-2014 at 00:46 ----------

That's what I do for a living, drill sideways. The longest one I ever did was a bit over 5 miles horizontal.

Under peoples houses too sometimes. :o

Thar't gerrin pushed oo'er a fence Sunday. :D

Seriously though, it's just wrong in my mind. It's sneaky. Why do they have the right ? If this were a lake they were drilling down into then fair enough, but the lengths they will go to to extract this way and the necessary costs to do so just don't leave me with confidence they'll want to spend the required money on ensuring safety, and keeping the environmental impact as low as possible.

I can see them grabbing the cash at any cost, wringing the last gallon out by any means. I just don't trust them.

The price of gas in the US dropped tremendously when fracking opened up new fields... It lined the pockets of everyone who is a consumer of gas.
When I last owned an oil heated home, I had to buy 1000 gallons a year to keep it warm at around $1.30 a gallon. Today it would cost nearly $3.00 a gallon. Fortunately I moved into a smaller house heated with natural gas, of which there is endless supply in this country at a budgeted $90.00 a month. Fracking is going to solve a lot of problems here, but I wonder if it can be successful in the UK, with a lot less available space to do it.

You haven't answered my questions. Go on, have a go.

I'll tell you what, I'll give you the fact that methane is a source of energy.

Now, off you go...

That's better.

Why is fracking worse? Quite simply intensive fracking exclusively for onshore gas in densely populated urban areas has never been done on the scale proposed and has not proven to be safe. It presents a risk to our water supplies. It won't reduce energy prices. The regulation is not in place. It doesn't even increase our energy security - the gas can simply be piped to the continent through the bidirectional interconnector pipeline:

http://www.interconnector.com/about-us/

If a higher price can be charged on the continent by a foreign operator in the UK that is what they will do.

The average UK citizen gets very little from this.

---------- Post added 21-01-2014 at 08:24 ----------

When I last owned an oil heated home, I had to buy 1000 gallons a year to keep it warm at around $1.30 a gallon. Today it would cost nearly $3.00 a gallon. Fortunately I moved into a smaller house heated with natural gas, of which there is endless supply in this country at a budgeted $90.00 a month. Fracking is going to solve a lot of problems here, but I wonder if it can be successful in the UK, with a lot less available space to do it.

That is the big question buck. In the US fracking is cost effective because of the geology - quite often both oil and gas can be extracted from the same wells.

I can't see this as anything other than the pillage of our landscape for a bit of extra tax revenue, and directorship positions for friends and family of coalition and Labour politicians with their snouts in the trough.

That's better.

It is what I wrote in post 738, but you appeared to be having reading difficulties, so I made it easy for you.

Why is fracking worse? Quite simply intensive fracking exclusively for onshore gas in densely populated urban areas has never been done on the scale proposed and has not proven to be safe. It presents a risk to our water supplies. It won't reduce energy prices. The regulation is not in place. It doesn't even increase our energy security - the gas can simply be piped to the continent through the bidirectional interconnector pipeline:

http://www.interconnector.com/about-us/

If a higher price can be charged on the continent by a foreign operator in the UK that is what they will do.

The average UK citizen gets very little from this.

So, your opposition is based upon a bit of scaremongering and some unsubstantiated claims.

You have a point about the regulation, that must be robust, but that should be easy enough to sort out.

The average citizen will get energy security from this. That is pretty significant in my opinion.