Fracking in Sheffield?

A couple of posts back you was agreeing with oblex that energy can't be created, its seams you and he was just being pedantic and new precisely what I meant.

Anyway this game of your is getting a tad boring to I will leave you to it.

You did see the "or" in that dictionary definition, right?

You can't create energy but you can generate it.

They produce methane frome the ground, at the risk of Mr.Smith/Maxmaximus/Angos jumping in, "generate" can be a suitable term for it...

In this context that wording has an unfortunate connotation, because the word generate is used in the description of a key end use of the gas - generation of electricity.

Production is a better descriptive word. The process does produce gas from shale.

Sorry to labour the point.

---------- Post added 21-01-2014 at 16:39 ----------

So you plagarised someone, tried to pass it off as your own, thought you'd look clever in doing so and actually picked something with an error in and didn't spot it - making you look even less competent..

I see.

Have you ever heard of special relativity...?

Methane is a molecule. Describing it as energy is like describing a wooden leg as energy"

"Look dad, that geezer has a wooden leg"

"That ain't a wooden leg son, it's energy!"

I think we used to call it potential energy in Science class, but that was a long time ago for me.

In this case, methane is useful because of of its chemical potential energy. When it is burned it reacts with oxygen. That produces a lot of heat. The heat can be used to heat water to create steam to drive turbines that create electricity so that Obelix can hoover the crumbs off his carpet.

In this context that wording has an unfortunate connotation, because the word generate is used in the description of a key end use of the gas - generation of electricity.

Production is a better descriptive word. The process does produce gas from shale.

Sorry to labour the point.

---------- Post added 21-01-2014 at 16:39 ----------

Methane is a molecule. Describing it as energy is like describing a wooden leg as energy"

"Look dad, that geezer has a wooden leg"

"That ain't a wooden leg son, it's energy!"

By your argument you could say that a silver spoon isn't metal, it's cutlery

In this case, methane is useful because of of its chemical potential energy. When it is burned it reacts with oxygen. That produces a lot of heat. The heat can be used to heat water to create steam to drive turbines that create electricity so that Obelix can hoover the crumbs off his carpet.

Wow you've finally figured out that methane and oxygen constitute energy, and that it's generated for use by people when it comes out of the well head. Well done.

Now perhaps you can move on to more useful things than tying yourself in knots whilst you try to save face.