Fracking in Sheffield?

I finally found a 'fracking' site on Google maps. It's the IGas coal bed methane site at Doe Green near Warrington which produces gas from coal beds for power generation

Here - http://goo.gl/maps/YHLcZ

This is the same company drilling at Barton Moss near Salford and attracting all the protests. It doesn't look like much to get het up about to me.

No, they're blind.

When there were protests at Balcome they claimed that "82% of people were against fracking", they held up placards stating it. Here's a pic:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-23547861

They even cited the exploding water as "fact" when it was found to be faked.

I'll let Truman take up the Balcombe story:

And the top result for why people were against the Fracking was because of an "Increase in road traffic through the village".

Now lets move onto Barton Moss - they're protesting against fracking there.

But there is no fracking, just exploratory well digging.

I wouldn't mind if it was a beauty spot but its not.

As for the protesters, locals report littering and human waste dumped in the area by the protesters. They also fired a flare at a police helicopter and during a subsequent search by the police drugs were found.

And I'll leave you with this:

Anti-fracking protesters glue themselves to wrong petrol station

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/antifracking-protesters-glue-themselves-to-wrong-petrol-station-9079637.html

When this gets going on a wide scale I think there will be a lot of humble pie to be eaten, by people who have supported all out fracking.

It won't take much. Maybe a couple of contaminated rivers. Maybe a water shortage caused by fracking companies taking too much water. Maybe an impact on house prices. Maybe no evidence of an impact on bills. Maybe the sight of fracking companies avoiding tax while ruining the landscape. Maybe a combination of all these things.

Unlike others who are totally opposed I think it should be given a chance though at a small number of full complexes, with many well heads and all the associated industrial plant, pipelines roads etc... To get a flavour of what is on the cards. Until people see that then they can't really judge. If it can be proven to be ok I'd change my opinion. But I'm very sceptical.

When this gets going on a wide scale I think there will be a lot of humble pie to be eaten, by people who have supported all out fracking.

It won't take much. Maybe a couple of contaminated rivers. Maybe a water shortage caused by fracking companies taking too much water. Maybe an impact on house prices. Maybe no evidence of an impact on bills. Maybe the sight of fracking companies avoiding tax while ruining the landscape. Maybe a combination of all these things.

I still don't understand why fracking is being targeted. These same incidents could happen to any number of industrial or agricultural ventures, yet they're being left alone while everyone and their dog predicts doom and gloom at the merest sight of a frack.

I still don't understand why fracking is being targeted. These same incidents could happen to any number of industrial or agricultural ventures, yet they're being left alone while everyone and their dog predicts doom and gloom at the merest sight of a frack.

It is targeted because nothing like it on the scale proposed has ever been done in the UK. We are a densely populated country with poor water security. And many of the licences cover areas with expanding populations with infrastructure already under stress. The south east has less water per head than some desert countries. Dotting the countryside with industrial plant is an alien concept for us - as a nation (rightly or wrongly) there is an ingrained desire to protect our countryside which is already going through unpredictable change because of climate change. Then you look at the corporate cronyism angle - when some politician appears on the TV bigging this up you wonder which of his mates are gonna get rich on it. Then there is corporate behaviour - almost a given that as much tax as possible will be avoided. Then there is the safety aspect - we hear that Total will be investing but they were operating the Buncefield depot that exploded. Then there are living costs - there is no evidence this will lower our bills. Then there are house prices - people will worry about that impact. Then there is traffic - it's clear that fracking sites will generate a lot of traffic. Then there are concerns about the technology, air pollution etc... I could go on.

It's a long list of things that touch on issues that are maybe already a sore point with the public, or potentially impact things that people strongly connect to or identify with. Some of it may well turn out to be irrational but these are issues that are driving attitudes to fracking.

It doesn't just distill down to whether the technology is right or not. It isn't that simple at all.

Edited by I1L2T3

• 3 weeks later...

The latest storms have added another little ingredient to the mix.

How will flooding impact fracking? What would happen if a fracking site ended up flooded by several feet of flood water? Or perhaps became inundated by ground water for an extended period of time?

How will flooding impact fracking? What would happen if a fracking site ended up flooded by several feet of flood water? Or perhaps became inundated by ground water for an extended period of time?

Who gives a toss? The ex Cuadrilla boss, not content with creating earthquakes on land, has set his sights on offshore gas fields.

When he's finished destroying the planet he'll be dead anyway, so why should he care?

Who gives a toss? The ex Cuadrilla boss, not content with creating earthquakes on land, has set his sights on offshore gas fields.

When he's finished destroying the planet he'll be dead anyway, so why should he care?

I saw that in the news today, that there are plans to produce unconventional shale gas offshore:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-26171874

Mr Taxman, why do you object to this? Do you object to all oil and gas drilling?

---------- Post added 14-02-2014 at 00:17 ----------

Nothing once any electrical power supply was disconnected.

I saw that in the news today, that there are plans to produce unconventional shale gas offshore:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-26171874

Mr Taxman, why do you object to this? Do you object to all oil and gas drilling?

---------- Post added 14-02-2014 at 00:17 ----------

Nothing once any electrical power supply was disconnected.

It has been put on the agenda.

http://www.greenpeace.org.uk/newsdesk/energy/news/government-issue-fracking-licenses-flood-plains

How do they manage with offshore wells?