No ebooks allowed at Upperthorpe swimming pool

So as not to appear like big fat hypocrites (as well as just plain petty) they better take down that surveillance camera that's filming the pool.

No, that's totally different. If there are surveillance cameras present (and they work) it's for the safety/protection* of the Zest staff as well as the patrons.

It's their premises, it's their rules.

*so an angry parent starts to whack the instructors over the head with a Nook they can track them down. ;) jk

The pool management are right to ban ebooks along with all other electronic devices such as cameras, phones and tablets. These are banned, rightly, to prevent people taking photographs of children. Why should a member of staff have to take their eyes off the children they are teaching / lifeguarding to look at what an adult is doing and then have to walk over to check that it is 'just' an e-book and not a tablet that can take photographs as well as let someone read a story.

For those that say this is a crazy rule here are some reasons why photography is banned in public swimming pools:

a) a child in that swimming session / lesson could be being cared for by foster parents - parent takes photograph of their child swimming their first width and in the background are other children. parent places said photo on facebook / twitter and it is seen by someone that knows the child being cared for - tells the parents which could place the child at risk (yes, the risk is low but it could happen)

b) same as above but the child this time is part of a witness protection programme because of something they, or their parents etc, have witnessed

c) Paedophiles can take the most innocent photograph and use it in ways we wouldn't want to think about

---------- Post added 20-07-2013 at 20:53 ----------

So as not to appear like big fat hypocrites (as well as just plain petty) they better take down that surveillance camera that's filming the pool.

This will be carefully controlled, complying with data protection rules and only very few staff will have access to the actual recorded material, which is destroyed after a set number of days. It won't end up on someone's facebook page etc

Heeley pool are much more relaxed about it. An actual eBook, that uses ePaper is unlikely to have a camera attached. This is just rule making for the sake of it.

I have trouble catching my child's eye when she's enjoying her swimming lesson, so I tend to leave her tuition to the capable and excellent swimming instructors, to whom she is meant to direct her undivided attention.

The points outlined above by Bludragon are completely valid. As a current foster career I know only too well what trouble carelessly taken pictures appearing on social media sites can and do cause.

The points outlined above by Bludragon are completely valid. As a current foster career I know only too well what trouble carelessly taken pictures appearing on social media sites can and do cause.

So logically you'd support a ban on all cameras everywhere. I hope you don't have one!

Archived