Insurance for 'Free Gifts' with mobile contracts

Just having a discussion with my hubby about the gadget insurance I get with my bank account, as I'm listing a few items on there now, and whether certain goods will be eligible, and wondering if anyone knows the answer without me having to call them and ask!

My laptop, and my daughter's 3DS were both 'free gifts' with mobile phone contracts - cheap phone, with a free gift. However, in order to register them for the insurance (I'm not trying to claim, just registering!), I need to enter a purchase price of at least £50. I have the proof of purchase (phone contracts) but they show as "Free extras".

Would they be eligible to be insured? I'm presuming they are, as a mobile phone showing as 'phone cost free' can be insured? His iPad will be able to be insured, as its on a contract in the place of a phone.

Anybody made a successful insurance claim on a 'free gift'?

They are asking for a purchase price, not a proof of purchase, 3ds is around £99

But I've claimed for my phone with them before, and they wanted a receipt showing proof of purchase and price, which i didnt have as it was a contract. They said an email with the IMEI and phone number from Tmobile would do, I would have to print and send it them - didnt have that as I did it over the phone to start with. Ended up having to get Tmobile to send me an email confirming what phone I have, when I got it, how much my total contract is and what the market value of the phone was when I took the contract out. They wanted to know the prices in case they couldnt repair or replace, and had to make a cash settlement.

Just wondering if I go to claim for a free gift and my 'proof of purchase' email says I have paid nothing for it, what do they do about that?

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Archived