Why do some people think Royals are better than them?

Either that or they prefer a parliamentary system rather than an executive presidential system and that being the case prefer their symbolic head of state to be one steeped in British tradition and that generates huge amounts of money for the taxpayer rather than costing huge amounts as in comparable nations like Germany?

But your theory that it's genetic is also an idea. Who knows eh?

I saw a chart somewhere on another forum, stating what amount of money each country gets from visitors, one set of countries had a royal family and the other set did not...and the facts were that we were we didnt do so well compared to other countries that didnt have a royal families.....i think all this stuff about "oooh they bring a lot of money in" is just part of the brainwashing scam for the gullible

I saw a chart somewhere on another forum, stating what amount of money each country gets from visitors, one set of countries had a royal family and the other set did not...and the facts were that we were we didnt do so well compared to other countries that didnt have a royal families.....i think all this stuff about "oooh they bring a lot of money in" is just part of the brainwashing scam for the gullible

I think the tourism thing is a red herring. France was quoted as a direct comparison which is ridiculous. They attract thousands of skiers for starters plus loads go to the south of France. I guess you have to ask Johnny foreigner why they come here. Not skiing for starters. Maybe the weather, cheap prices or excellent customer service. Royalty (and associated property and history I guess) must be a factor. We don't offer much else you can't get elsewhere cheaper !

How would you decide whether to drop the monarchy or not?...? Some form of referendum?
I suppose a referendum would have to be the way to decide once and for all whether to become a republic or not. The way the French did it wasn't quite the right way. There should be a lot more red in their flag than white and blue. Much is said about how rich the Royals are. They could be more like the Scandinavians riding around on bicycles or in Ford Focuses instead of rolls Royces and Aston Martins. You could have a President like Ireland does who costs them very little money, not like ours who has the biggest private jet in the world as well as a spare:hihi:

I think the tourism thing is a red herring. France was quoted as a direct comparison which is ridiculous. They attract thousands of skiers for starters plus loads go to the south of France. I guess you have to ask Johnny foreigner why they come here. Not skiing for starters. Maybe the weather, cheap prices or excellent customer service. Royalty (and associated property and history I guess) must be a factor. We don't offer much else you can't get elsewhere cheaper !

We have museums, we have beautiful countryside, we have hundreds of years of history that people come for,we have grand houses and castles, we dont need to have a set of spongers sat in them....how many go and view chatsworth house each year.??

That sounds like comparing total tourism with other countries, which is not the same as the draw factor of the monarchy. It would include other factors like whether a Japanese tourist may choose Mablethorpe or St Tropez as a beach destination.

I think the reality is most people are happy with the system we have because it works, makes money and gives Britain that intangible influence that have the Queen brings to the country. If we had a useless monarch then public opinion could well change in very short order, and who knows what will happen when charles gets promotion. But at the moment, the people are happy with the system and you don't fix what ain't broken.

We have museums, we have beautiful countryside, we have hundreds of years of history that people come for,we have grand houses and castles, we dont need to have a set of spongers sat in them....how many go and view chatsworth house each year.??

A Lot of countries have beautiful countryside, but take your point about the stately homes. I don't know how many come for the royalty factor - some do though.

I suppops a referendum would have to be the way to decide once and for all whether to become a republic or not. The way the French did it wasn't quite the right way. There should be a lot more red in their flag than white and blue. Much is said about how rich the Royals are. They could be more like the Scandinavians riding around on bicycles or in Ford Focuses instead of rolls Royces and Aston Martins. You could have a President like Ireland does who costs them very little money, not like ours who has the biggest private jet in the world as well as a spare:hihi:

Different system, as I suspect you know. The American President is the Commander in chief & Chief executive. The Irish President fulfills the same role more or less as a Monarch, representing the people in an official capacity.

The difference being that the role isn't hereditary & you don't have to bow & scrape to them. I had the pleasure of meeting Mary McAleese when she was President. I was meeting & talking to the first citizen of Ireland, & my equal. Impressive woman by the way.

It always amuses me when royalists argue 'we wouldn't be able to find anyone suitable.'

There are 4.6 million people in the Republic & 62 million in the UK. I'm sure there's a decent candidate amongst that lot, bearing in mind the last three Irish Presidents have been exceptional, & the present President is a decent man.

Different system, as I suspect you know. The American President is the Commander in chief & Chief executive. The Irish President fulfills the same role more or less as a Monarch, representing the people in an official capacity.

The difference being that the role isn't hereditary & you don't have to bow & scrape to them. I had the pleasure of meeting Mary McAleese when she was President. I was meeting & talking to the first citizen of Ireland, & my equal. Impressive woman by the way.

It always amuses me when royalists argue 'we wouldn't be able to find anyone suitable.'

There are 4.6 million people in the Republic & 62 million in the UK. I'm sure there's a decent candidate amongst that lot, bearing in mind the last three Irish Presidents have been exceptional, & the present President is a decent man.

Ireland sounds like the place you'd be happiest then if the fact the UK has a Royal Familly really gets on your nerves that much.

Archived