Why do some people think Royals are better than them?

Of course the Royals are better than me. Anyone with more power than me is better than me. The queen is above the law and in this country has the power of a God should she choose to wield it. I'm totally cool with that. The Royals earn this country far more than they cost this country. In business terms, they are a huge success story. They also give our country a wonderful colourful and interesting history. Imagine being Ireland with absolutely no pomp or ceremony. How depressing would that be. I love the royals and everything they stand for. In life, there will always be people better than you, deal with it.

if republicans think all are equal

You'd have to add context to that. Equal in what sense?

I also suspect the answer will be that Presidents live somewhere to keep them secure, and close to work. Like Downing Street is to the Prime Minister.

If Royalists think the Monarchy is wonderful, and politicians are awful, why not suspend Parliament?

Genuine question here.. if republicans think all are equal then why do their presidents live in the White House ,Elysee Palace etc.etc?

That a serious question? OK,let's assume it is. Because that's what the job & the prestige of the country requires?

Why do monarchists confuse wealth & possessions with worth?

The intrinsic worth of a human being has absolutely nothing to do with any ones position in society, nor their home, nor their personal wealth.

People have differing skills & ability's, sometimes it makes them rich & famous, good luck to them. It doesn't however confer on them any extra worth in their value as a human being.

Lionel Messi is currently the greatest footballer on the planet. He is also fabulously wealth & seems like a decent bloke. None of that makes him any 'better' than you or I, only as a footballer, & in my case he's worth a bit more :)

That a serious question? OK,let's assume it is. Because that's what the job & the prestige of the country requires?

Why do monarchists confuse wealth & possessions with worth?

The intrinsic worth of a human being has absolutely nothing to do with any ones position in society, nor their home, nor their personal wealth.

People have differing skills & ability's, sometimes it makes them rich & famous, good luck to them. It doesn't however confer on them any extra worth in their value as a human being.

Lionel Messi is currently the greatest footballer on the planet. He is also fabulously wealth & seems like a decent bloke. None of that makes him any 'better' than you or I, only as a footballer, & in my case he's worth a bit more :)

What do you mean by equality then...? Can anyone go and live in the WH or Elysee Palace? Obviously not...doesn't this mean that the republic has bestowed some sort of "superiority" on the president..?

I don't believe Fred West is equal to George Orwell, so I dunno. I believe all men should have equal rights.

It's a big question. I also think it's a badly phrased statement made by mjw47.

---------- Post added 24-07-2013 at 14:56 ----------

Can anyone go and live in the WH or Elysee Palace?

Yes, within certain limits. Any American can live in the White House.

I don't believe Fred West is equal to George Orwell, so I dunno. I believe all men should have equal rights.

It's a big question. I also think it's a badly phrased statement made by mjw47.

He/she said "Republicans think all humans are equal".. fairly unequivocal really...

Archived