Are Scottish notes legal tender and accepted in England?

The banks will change them.

Big outlets will usually take them but there is no requirement for any body to take them as payment.

If given change involving Scottish issued notes you are perfectly within your rights to refuse them.

Legal tender is a complex issue and has been discussed.

Yeah I'm aware there is no requirement for them to be accepted.

I'll try change them tomorrow but if not I'll just have to hope for the best!

Strangely enough there is a sign up in our local bakery near work, 'Scottish Banknotes are not accepted' You have no indication whether they are dodgy, not worth the risk really.

few years ago I refused a £5 one at East Midlands airport, the assistant informed me they were legal tender, I corrected her they were not in England. Outcome was I said I didn't want the goods and I wanted original £20 note back. She backed down and gave me an English £5 note ... you just got to stick your ground.

Always happy to assist a 'newco rangers fan'

All big stores will take them, chain stores, bookies

If you want to buy a carry out tesco asda Kind of shops will, small independent off sales and corner shops may refuse, taxi driver may also refuse

Of you do get stuck go into a bookies put £60 roulette machine, have a couple of wee £1 spins then print receipt an collect £55+ in English notes from the counter

Shopkeepers who refuse its nothing personal they just can't spot fakes as they are not used to seeing them

I wouldn't accept them. I wouldn't know whether they were real or not, especially with there being several different kinds (BoS, RBoS, Clydesdale Bank etc).

Do they still have £1 notes?

Yes that's the problem I have with them .I know how to check for fakes with English notes but would not know where to start with the Scottish ones . Been bitten too many times in the past with fakes so don't take any chances now .

I received a reasonable cash sum a couple of weeks ago in Scottish twenties and fifties.

The only place who refused to accept Scottish twenties was Wards nursery near Dronfield.(I wouldn't have presumed they'd be your first port of call).

I even paid for some takeaway delivery and a handyman with them.

Archived