Should Russia be alowed to host the Olympics & World Cup?

Has everyone forgotten our own Clause 28 outcry, a law which banned councils from promoting or supporting homosexuality, passed in 1988 and only repealed under Tony Blair's government in 2000 as part of Labour's election manifesto. Please don't pretend the Russians are miles away from our own record in this issue. Some southern US states would outlaw homosexuality altogether if they could.

So that's a yes from you then? Russia should be allowed to host the world cup and Olympics?

Yes they should. Most sporting tournaments are organised by countries with less than impressive human rights records. I'd draw the line at countries like the former South Africa and some countries that have apartheid for women. Look at other recent organisers of major sporting events - China 2008, South Korea 1988, Ukraine 2012, South Africa 2012, Argentina 1978, Mexico 1968 and 1970 - not exactly all states adhering to democratic values at all times.

Do you think the England football team shouldn't play away matches in places like Russia, Belarus, etc or British teams in the Champions or Europa League play away-leg fixtures in places like that? Moscow hosted the Man Utd vs Chelsea Champions League final after all.

---------- Post added 24-07-2013 at 16:17 ----------

true, but we are supposed to be more civilised and understanding now. What was then, was then

Countries don't develop at the same pace and in the same direction. Standards are relative between states and times. There should be a bottom line but you can't draw that line too high and expect every nation to abide by western standards. Otherwise there'd be very few hosts and very few competitors. And Jesse Owens wouldn't have stuck 2 fingers up to Adolf.

Yes they should. Most sporting tournaments are organised by countries with less than impressive human rights records. I'd draw the line at countries like the former South Africa and some countries that have apartheid for women. Look at other recent organisers of major sporting events - China 2008, South Korea 1988, Ukraine 2012, South Africa 2012, Argentina 1978, Mexico 1968 and 1970 - not exactly all states adhering to democratic values at all times.

Do you think the England football team shouldn't play away matches in places like Russia, Belarus, etc or British teams in the Champions or Europa League play away-leg fixtures in places like that? Moscow hosted the Man Utd vs Chelsea Champions League final after all.

Do you even know who Nelson Mandela is?

Do you even know who Nelson Mandela is?

Is he the former president of South Africa? Or is there another one? Mandela plays little role in SA these days for obvious reason. If you think SA is some idyllic democracy I suggest you google the words South Africa Police Brutality and see what the place is really like.

Is he the former president of South Africa? Or is there another one? Mandela plays little role in SA these days for obvious reason. If you think SA is some idyllic democracy I suggest you google the words South Africa Police Brutality and see what the place is really like.

I've been to South Africa many times. It is by far the most stable democracy in Africa. You should visit the place then you might know what you were talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IRUbhVCrd0

I googled police brutality and got this. Is that what you meant?

I googled police brutality and got this.

Well I got

http://news.sky.com/story/1091874/south-african-police-accused-of-using-torture

http://www.theweek.co.uk/world-news/53087/south-african-police-brutality-torture-ronnie-kasrils

"Ronnie Kasrils, who served in the first democratically-elected South African Government in the 1990s, has told Sky News: "This is not what we fought for. The Nelson Mandela I know would have been outraged at the police brutality.""

Or just go down the list;

http://www.google.co.uk/#gs_rn=22&gs_ri=psy-ab&cp=21&gs_id=2k&xhr=t&q=south+african+police+brutality&es_nrs=true&pf=p&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&oq=South+Africa+police+b&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.49641647,d.d2k&fp=624cfffe85b4487f&biw=1093&bih=538

This is why it is right to object to the Russian hosting of the Olympics.

Russian lawmaker: We will arrest gay athletes, tourists at Olympic Games

http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/russian-lawmaker-we-will-arrest-gay-athletes-tourists-olympic-games300713

Their oppression of homosexuals is now, while historic oppression cannot impede peoples rights in the present.

Archived