Insurance Quotes

Hi

My daughter passed her driving test over a year ago,she has not had the need for insurance since as she doesn't have a car,now she has the money to buy a car,the Quotes she is getting for her car is 3k+(as the car is only worth £900).so I decided to get a Quote, me as the policey holder and have her as an additional driver,the cheapest quote I got was for £900,which is good,but is this legal....thanks in anticipation.

It could be classed as "fronting" a big no-no if you're found out... as for the premium..the value of her car is only a small factor in the price of insurance..you can wipe a bus queue out with a £900 car as easily as you can with a £10,000 car..

Try Gocompare (the website with that really annoying welsh bloke)

If you phoned up for a quote try online, I saved £280 applying online for the same policy as I had previously with the same company - £553 upon renewal and £273 applying as a new customer online - marvellous! Exactly the same cover too...

Thanks for your reply Truman,but is it illegal ...could she be arrested for no insurance,why do insurance companies quote even though I stated on the form that she has only had her license for a year.surly they would refuse,or give a warning.

"‘Fronting’ is often used to describe a form of car insurance fraud, when someone claims to be the main driver on a car insurance policy when they are not.

Fronting often happens when a higher risk driver, such as a younger driver, is added as a named driver to a car insurance policy, when they are in fact the main driver or owner of the vehicle.

If a driver is found to be fronting they may have all or part of their insurance claim refused by their insurer, their policy may be cancelled and they could face prosecution for fraud, which can lead to a criminal record.

Additionally, they may find it difficult to get insurance again in the future."

From...

http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/fraud-az-fronting

It is possible for you to be the policy holder but declare someone else as the main driver. Fronting is declaring yourself as the main driver even though you're not.

Many insurance companies have stopped offering this option though.

IMHO it's the fairest way for parents who own a second car for their kids to drive since they are responsible for insuring it as the keeper.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Thanks for your reply Truman,but is it illegal ...could she be arrested for no insurance,why do insurance companies quote even though I stated on the form that she has only had her license for a year.surly they would refuse,or give a warning.

Just search for fronting - http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011/oct/14/fronting-car-insurance-costs-parents

Fronting can have serious financial and legal implications as, if detected, insurers can refuse to pay out for any claims, or can settle a third-party claim and attempt to recover the cost from the parent as the policyholder.

If the insurer declines a claim, the young driver could be treated as uninsured and could be fined hundreds of pounds and receive six penalty points (an automatic ban for new drivers). They will also face higher insurance costs in the future.

---------- Post added 23-07-2013 at 22:39 ----------

So if my name was on the log book would that be classed as fronting,and let my daughter drive it now and again,even though she would drive it a lot more than me.

The owner doesn't matter, if she is the main driver, then yes it's fronting.

Archived