Insurance Quotes

Thanks for all your replies,a lottery win it is then ,:sad::sad:

Put her down as the policy holder and you as the named driver, sometimes this brings it down depending on the insurer.

So if my name was on the log book would that be classed as fronting,and let my daughter drive it now and again,even though she would drive it a lot more than me.

Whoever is on the log book has the responsibility to insure the vehicle, ergo should be the policy holder.

Whoever does the most driving must be declared as the main driver. The two don't have to be the same, although some insurers now insist the main driver is also the owner, registered keeper and the policy holder. Adding yourself as a second named driver may decrease the cost and is fine, I have my wife, older brother and mother on mine it reduces my quote and they all drive my car occasionally.

It's the main driver issue which is where fronting comes in.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

I think it would be pretty impossible to prove the policyholder isn't actually the policyholder.

If your daughter had a serious acident and just told the truth - some people do, she was on her way to work. Then she could be found out.

And the down-side is that your daughter may not build up a no claims bonus with other insurance companies. So this scam could carry on for years. Maybe a car with a lower insurance group would help?

Insurance companies have been known to ask neighbours, who drives the punto / ka / yaris / etc.

What you are considering is fronting, and should you need to claim (or anyone need to claim against you) they insurers will find out.

My daughter (17) has just passed her test, and we've insured a group 4 car her, for £2100.

That is with 8000 mile restriction, me (46) on as a named driver, parked on the drive.

The insurer is Hastings Smartmiles, and the policy requires a black box /tracking device. However the policy doesn't have a curfew and no mid term price adjustments can be made.

The sad thing is that my daughter is covered to drive my company car (worth 20 times as much as her car), as it is for any driver ( I have it in writing from the broker) and the toal premium is only £660 per year.

we used a company called Ingenie, my daughters insurance was £1700, she passed her test 3 weeks ago and was 18, 1 week ago, we waited until she was 18 as it brought the cost down considerably, it involved having a box/ tracker fitted, but there is no restictions or curfew with it. You can down load an app and follow your driving progress through a traffic light system and you can see where you need to improve. This is for a 1 litre, 2 year old citroen, we was told newer cars are cheaper to insure as they have more saftey features than older cars and they are more likely to be looked after rather than run into the ground

I think it would be pretty impossible to prove the policyholder isn't actually the policyholder.

If your daughter had a serious acident and just told the truth - some people do, she was on her way to work. Then she could be found out.

And the down-side is that your daughter may not build up a no claims bonus with other insurance companies. So this scam could carry on for years. Maybe a car with a lower insurance group would help?

The bit in bold: it wouldn't prove that the daughter was the main driver. Yes, she might use the car daily to commute but the mother/father could say they do more miles by driving for pleasure etc...

Insurance companies have been known to ask neighbours, who drives the punto / ka / yaris / etc.

I'm sure that's illegal. Involving a 3rd party (civilian) to snoop on a client's driving habits ?

Archived