Taggys Ice Cream ?

Ian L

Carlsberg don't make ice cream but if they did it still probably wouldn't be the best in the world. That accolade goes to Taggys. Always remembered, never surpassed.

Me and you seem to be in the minority with our praise for taggys. Very few people seem to remember it but I can honestly say I've ever tasted anything quite like it before or since.

If you have never had a Taggys ice cream you have never lived, although you would have to be one of the somewhat older generation, I believe it went out of business in the late 1970s although some people might correct me on that statement. Wonderful on a Whit Monday in and around Meersbrook Park.

How good was Taggys ice cream when we were kids in the '70s.

Does any one know of any ice cream available today that comes anywhere close?

Rusky it was excellent 30 years before your time. It was a great shame when they closed down because their secret for making delicious ice cream disappeared with them. The last time I saw their shop on, I think it was Gleadless Road, it was isolated as all the surrounding terraced properties had been demolished.

There are other threads on S F about Taggy's Ices. Mackies ice cream, which is made in Scotland, is similar but certainly not identical.

Thanks for that. I would like to try some Mackies ice cream. Do you know of anywhere that sells it locally or is it restricted to Scotland?

Nowadays I live a distance from Sheffield and have done for many years but I know that Morrisons and the Co-op stock it. You'll have to look carefully for the blue tubs because, as it's not the cheapest ice cream, ( you pay for quality!) their stocks are often small. Sometimes they have 2 litres for the price of one offers which make it reasonable and recently they've introduced a crunchie flavoured variety in orange tubs. Hey, anybody would think I was a salesman for them! Hope that helps.