Taggys Ice Cream ?

Ian L

I remember Taggy's shop on View road in the 60s ...just across the road from my pal Carole.

Taggys used come down Olivet Road every Sunday, I used to go out with a large bowl. I don't,t know if I am remembering right but when I was a child I was sure they had an ice cream parlour in Bridlington

"Does anybody remember ?" I will never forget it, scrumptious.

Indeed. Once tasted, never forgotten.

Or was it because we were young and carefree it tasted so good?

No, if it were made today it would still be the 'Carlsberg' of the ice cream world!

echo.

Indeed. Once tasted, never forgotten.

Or was it because we were young and carefree it tasted so good?

No, if it were made today it would still be the 'Carlsberg' of the ice cream world!

echo

---------- Post added 09-03-2017 at 14:48 ----------

The ' Taggys' family house where the icecream was made was just off Richards Road , Heeley . They were victims of the EU legislation im afraid , they refused to disclose the secret recipe when the EU started to dictate that ingredients must be disclosed . They chose to close the business rather than cede to their demands ?

Yes I remember, the shop and the house where they made it. It was lovely ice cream, todays is just like water, sadly it's all gone now, the shop and the house demolished and I think the recipe died with taggy himself.

Could we excavate Taggy's tomb and retrieve it do you think?

i don't remember his ice cream but i remember Taggy, My parents bought a shop on view road and they rented the living accomodation that came with it from Taggy he

wanted the house back so he threw us out, my parents lost a lot because they lost the shop as well

hiya I well remember taggy's ice cream, my wife and I married in 1961`and moved into number 49, across the road from their shop in January 62,our first sunday my wife sad lets try our local ice ceam, at the time it was only open sat, and sun, well earnest battle came over to me not a very nice man, the first thing he said to me was,you have just moved into 49, yes I said, I used to own the two 49,51, yes again I said, bet you don't know what I paid for them, yes again I said, £20 the pair at auction and you sold them both to mr mrs middleton for £300, to us they sold them for £350, we were told this before by the previous owner,carol,brother Kenny,sister mum and dad, lived below the corner shop,next down was bill and connie grace, mrs larkin and her two sons then we lived,then the allen's then the wild's

going back I seem to remember something like ths happening, a family called O'Neal moved in after us.

Edited by willybite

• 2 years later...

OK here goes, a couple of years ago we retired outside the UK to a warmer place having lived in Heeley from 1950 (our family dates back to the early 1800's in Heeley)

The ice creams in the supermarkets here are the same old same old as available  in the UK so we decided to buy a domestic  ice cream maker and have a go ourselves.

We started out making the basic recipe as suggested in the instruction booklet with the intentions  of "adjusting" it to suit our taste, on our first tasting attempt we  looked at each other  and simultaneously uttered the magic word, "Taggies!" I've heard a few people over the years say that they have tasted ice cream "like" Taggies, this IS Taggies.

As most of you Heeley folk out there will have tasted the magical potion, you'll know that the recipe is said to have gone to the grave with him when he died, I do seem to remember someone buying the vans the equipment and having a go themselves but didn't reign too long, I think they called it "Baggies" (see what they did there?)

You would expect the recipe to be complicated and contain special ingredients but it's simplicity itself using everyday stuff. I know that people will be skeptical about being able to reproduce something that has remained a secret for all this time but the truth is that we came across it by pure chance.

With reverence to the Battle family I don't think it would be fair to just give away their "secret" that I have stumbled across but I also know what passion that magical taste has to Heeley folk so I would urge you get out there, get a machine (not much money in the UK) and have a go yourselves. You would have the advantage over me as I can't get Jersey milk over here but the combination of milk and a little cream that we use seems to work to perfection. We can only make a litre at a time but we think that may be enough for our own consumption, I'm eating one right now.

Good luck and best regards to Heeley,

4X2

• nikki-red changed the title to Just like Taggies Ice Cream!!
  • 8 months later...
Spoiler
Spoiler

Hi peeps, I know anyone within the vicinity of anns road,well rd,Tiletson road, boyton st,etc will remember taggy's ice cream; I live in Portugal at the moment which,if your not aware can be fairly warm,even in winter and to be perfectly honest their interpretation of ice cream is crap. So my request is ; does anyone have any idea how he made it ; or if mr taggy or family could give me any helpful clues. I do remember my father and myself discussing  the very subject with him and at times peeking into his yard full of magic machinery as I snook by on my way home from school. I know he used proper milk/ cream etc and real vanilla but the rest was just magic , in my opinion ; has similarities with Willy Wonka .