Taggys Ice Cream ?

Ian L

I know I just say it cause I miss all my old mates & Taggys as well.LOL

We didnt live so far apart, I was born and brought up on the View, we had Taggies every Sunday. If we didnt go out to the van he would knock on the door and ask us what we wanted. No one can say he wasnt pushy :hihi:

I cannot remember the name of the 'Taggy' who went round in the van to sell the ice cream but it was his brother John Battle who made it, When John died that was the end of Taggy's ice cream. Re the lady who also sold from a van she was their sister Mabel, unfortunately she had cancer and was too frightened to go into hospital for an operation, subsequently she died.

Just remembered his name, it was Ernest Battle.

Cynthia, Ontario, Canada.

Hi there

I worked as a van lad for Taggys during the late 60's and early 70's

Early Saturday and Sunday mornings around 6.00 am saw me making the ice boxes for the vans which kept the ice-cream cold, smashing blocks of ice and adding freezing salt no refrigeration on Taggys vans.

Once these boxes were ready and loaded onto the fleet of vans the ice-cream would be loaded.

I can assure all those who crave the ice-cream now will never have tasted it as good as when it came out of the dairy at around 6.30 am. it always went off quickly if you remember it you could not keep it in the freezer!

I was only allowed into the dairy to collect the stainless steel buckets used to decant the ice-cream from the makers and wash them in a trough outside, great in summer but freezing in winter.

John Battle, always known as Jack to us, made the ice-cream and his brother Ernest was in charge of sales.

There was always two women around at the time I was there and strangely enough I think they were both called Mabel.

One who worked in the dairy and served in the shop at View Road was, I believe, Ernest's wife whilst the other was his young lady of many years.

Mabel who worked on the vans was always mistakenly thought to be Ernest's sister or even his wife but she was always the most popular of all the drivers. The kids on the Arbourthorne and Heeley areas used to flock to see this very generous woman.

I remember as a shy kid of about 14 having to learn the art of cornet and wafer making with Ernest on the Woodseats, Greenhill and Jordanthorpe run but more importantly I think I learned more about chatting up the ladies with him than anything else. He really was a ladies man.

The name Taggys well it came from the fact that Ernest as a young kid used to go and stay with his Aunt Agnes or Aunt Aggy to him

I cannot remember the name of the 'Taggy' who went round in the van to sell the ice cream but it was his brother John Battle who made it, When John died that was the end of Taggy's ice cream. Re the lady who also sold from a van she was their sister Mabel, unfortunately she had cancer and was too frightened to go into hospital for an operation, subsequently she died.

Just remembered his name, it was Ernest Battle.

Cynthia, Ontario, Canada.

When I was 15 I used to work on the Taggy's Vans. Saturday afternoons I would go around with a driver (Roy?) and sometimes Mabel. Then on Sunday morning I worked in the shop on Gleadless Road. Closed that up and went to the house for my Sunday dinner cooked by Edith and then walked up to Heeley Green to the van (can't remember the name of the street that it was parked on the corner) and stayed there until I'd sold out. If I sold out early, Roy would come by and bring more. If I sold out later, then they'd lock up the van and take me on the van with them until they'd sold out! I thought I was so rich because I got 30 shillings for the weekend - a great fortune at that time (1958/59) when my weekly wage was only just over two pounds! Thanks for the memories, Cynthia.

Hi Brandygirl, I remember that a Maureen Hartley & either her husband or brother worked for Taggy from the 1950s, she lived on Midhill Rd. I do not know Maureen's married name.

Edith was Ernest Battles wife, it was she who cooked the Sunday dinner for the family and employees.

Cynthia, East of Toronto, Ontario.