Taggys Ice Cream ?

Ian L

ooohhhi remember it well....taggys ice cream....every sunday at 4pm my brother and me would wait on the corner of Lowedges Road with a large dish ready for a pounds worth of ice cream...and we got loads...it was lovely we had eaten half of it before we got back in to the house:hihi:

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Believe it or not, I've found an ice cream that comes very very close to Taggys!

It's called 'Sweet Cream' and it's sold by a company called "Cold Stone Creamery". Cold Stone Creamery was started in Arizona in the 1980s and it's now going international, with franchise stores in China and Taiwan. They are looking to expand in the UK, so it's possible that an ice cream with a flavour close to that of Taggy's will come back to Sheffield.

I have a big tub of it next to me right now and the nostalgia is palpable.

If anyone is in the US, look up a nearby store (http://www.coldstonecreamery.com/google/stores/store_locator.aspx), grab a bite and confirm for yourself that this stuff is really close to Taggy's.

• 4 months later...

Well im a bit late, and you all beat me to it i was just telling my husband about when i was a kid how Taggys would come around and i have never tasted anything like it in my life, my mum would send me down to get two tubs, and we just sat there and enjoyed every morsel..... those where the days, we lived on the Gleadless Valley, but use to live on Tillitson Road, Heeley.

• 1 month later...

miami now.

I'm a bit late too, I used to drive a Taggy van in the Eighties, it was amazingly popular.

and a pleasure to sell...

To be able to sit down and have a cone with a flake and rasberry saurse any time I felt like it made it all worth while....Magic

Edited by grinder

Without a doubt Taggys had the secret of making delicious tasting ice cream.

The last time I drove past Heeley, which is many years ago, I noticed all the houses around Taggys had been demolished and Taggy's premises had been left in splendid isolation. Has that been demolished now and new houses built?

Other good tasting ice creams that I can remember from the past were Peak Ices at Bradwell in the Peak District and an Italian seller at Boothferry Bridge, crossing the River Ouse near Howden on the way to the East Coast

( Bridlington or Scarborough) - that was of course a long time prior to the

M62 being built.

My wife and I were avid Taggy fans and always had a helping whenever we could. Hello to Cynthia and Brandy girl, I can tell you that the driver Roy was actually Roy Middleton and Maureen is his wife and also my cousin, they still live on Midhill Rd. although Roy isn't a well man these days. On Whit Monday when all the local churches marched to Meersbrook Park Taggy would have two or three vans there, he must have made a fortune, my wife (girl friend then) would have a cornet or sandwich to take in and another on the way out, this was in the 1950s.