Taggys Ice Cream ?

Ian L

Hi again, just to say Hartley was our Maureens maiden name.

I know that Maureen & Roy worked at the weekends for Taggy's. I too lived on Midhill Rd. When you next see Maureen tell her that my mother (Mrs. Bailey) had the fruit shop on Havelock Bridge. I am sure that she will remember me.

Edited by Cynthia

• 1 year later...

HI TO EVERYONE OUT THERE REALLY SAD TO HERE THAT NO ONE KNOWS HOW TO MAKE TAGGIES ANY MORE:(

The best tasting icecream ever,brings back the days when i lived on Meersbrook park road back in the 60s. Every sunday we would be waiting for taggies to turn up just outside the park gates. It seemed like it was always summer then. Who remembers whit sundays watching the bands parade up the road and into the park ? dressed all in new eating icecream .

I loved the ice cream, they say that the closest one now is made by stone cold but i dont know for sure, also i loved the milk in the long bottle what was that i always loved the taste and the smell of it my grandma used to buy it, we lived off Newfield Green Road on the Gleadless Valley my grandma warburton lived on the bottom of Gleadless Road, long time ago....

Without a doubt Taggys had the secret of making delicious tasting ice cream.

The last time I drove past Heeley, which is many years ago, I noticed all the houses around Taggys had been demolished and Taggy's premises had been left in splendid isolation. Has that been demolished now and new houses built?

Other good tasting ice creams that I can remember from the past were Peak Ices at Bradwell in the Peak District and an Italian seller at Boothferry Bridge, crossing the River Ouse near Howden on the way to the East Coast

( Bridlington or Scarborough) - that was of course a long time prior to the

M62 being built.

Hi, echo beach.

Chipping in somewhat late, but sadly, yes, even Taggys' premises are demolished, now.

Taggys are commemorated in a field at Heeley City Farm, known as Taggys field, which I do understand to be where Taggys' dairy was.

It's not been built on, thank goodness, like the old properties on Sturge Street and surrounding area. (now known as Sturge Croft) which means that there are some nice green areas dotted around which are nice for the local residents. The farm is brilliant, and is a resource that is well-used by schools in Sheffield.

They even produce plants for you to take home and transplant into your own garden.

Anyway, back on the subject of Taggys' Ice cream...

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, there was none to compare.

Taggys Ice Cream was as I remember always made with Jersey milk.

Yes Taggys was made with Jersey milk, It was on View road.and when I worked there, there were three vans..

Ernest Battle was the youngest and the last of the three brothers to own it and Taggy was the oldest brothers nick name at school.

My aunt lived on Bowler Street (now long gone) at the back of Heeley Green and I always looked forward to visiting her because I knew I could have a tub of Taggy's ice cream.

As every one says, it was delicious and had its own distinctive taste.

It's sad that it is no longer made but I wonder if someone has still got the recipe. If they have I'd love to see it back on sale

Wishful thinking !!!!

he sure did take that recipe with him

no-one could ever make ice cream like that again. it had that distinctive taste that you will never forget

I used to love Taggy's and thought I'd never taste anything like it again, but then I found an ice cream in Morrisons called "Mackies" and it tasted just like taggys ice cream.

You can still buy this at most supermarkets!!!!