Taggys Ice Cream ?

Ian L

My aunt lived on Bowler Street (now long gone) at the back of Heeley Green and I always looked forward to visiting her because I knew I could have a tub of Taggy's ice cream.

As every one says, it was delicious and had its own distinctive taste.

It's sad that it is no longer made but I wonder if someone has still got the recipe. If they have I'd love to see it back on sale

Wishful thinking !!!!

Great grandad and grandma Ring lived on Bowler Street, great grandad and great grandma Marshall lived on Carfield Street. My Grandad Marshall used to buy me Taggy's cornets, it was very nice ice cream.

Try Bradwells if you can find it, plenty in the Hope Valley when you are out there, it's the best you can find these days.

Was Taggy's place up a hill from Heeley by some old stone cottages ??

come off London road at the bridge Inn up Gleadless road pass the real ale pub.

View road is the 2ND one on your left or was..

I remember we had to go up stairs to fetch boxes of wafers or cones. at the top of the stairs was a large framed certificate and on the top of the print was the head of a Buffalo..

I heared one of the brothers I think he was called Walter was president of a branch or lodge of the Buffalo's.

Any one know who they were, and was there a branch in Heeley ?

Up date.

Apparently there was a Lodge at the Ball Inn on Myrtle road....

Edited by grinder

• 3 weeks later...
I used to love Taggy's and thought I'd never taste anything like it again, but then I found an ice cream in Morrisons called "Mackies" and it tasted just like taggys ice cream.

You can still buy this at most supermarkets!!!!

Well done alandrea0 in spotting this gem. Just bought a tub of Mackies' ice cream and the taste is definately 'Taggyesque'. Brings back so many happy memories. I notice it's made in Scotland and wonder whether Taggy had any Scottish connections?

come off London road at the bridge Inn up Gleadless road pass the real ale pub.

View road is the 2ND one on your left or was..

I remember we had to go up stairs to fetch boxes of wafers or cones. at the top of the stairs was a large framed certificate and on the top of the print was the head of a Buffalo..

I heared one of the brothers I think he was called Walter was president of a branch or lodge of the Buffalo's.

Any one know who they were, and was there a branch in Heeley ?

Up date.

Apparently there was a Lodge at the Ball Inn on Myrtle road....

...which is more or less round the corner from Taggys' place, isn't it?

does anyone know or knew of the Warburtons they live at the end of Gleadless Road, right before the bridge that the train went over, also i was looking for a Printers that was in town in about the 1960's Paulson or something to that effect, was looking for Judith Warburton she used to work there she would be about 64 right about now. Thanks

Well done alandrea0 in spotting this gem. Just bought a tub of Mackies' ice cream and the taste is definately 'Taggyesque'. Brings back so many happy memories. I notice it's made in Scotland and wonder whether Taggy had any Scottish connections?

*makes a resolution to search out this Mackies icecream to see if it really does match up to Taggy's...

*sigh*, Taggy's... :love: