Crownshaw penknife

My wife's grandfather was the last Little Mester in Wadsley and made penknives. He had his own registered mark 'Crownshaw'

Does anyone have a knife with that mark impressed? The marks were usually placed at the handle end on the folding blade, reading across the blade. I would like to buy such a knife if one is available.

• 1 year later...

Hi, my great grandad was a little mesters in wadsley, we must be related! I'm only just starting the family tree, so not got too much detail yet, but I do have a couple of crownshaw knives he made, name engraved, though not pen knives, they are bone handled eating knives. Marked W.S.Crownshaw, sheffield, England.

---------- Post added 14-03-2015 at 16:25 ----------

sorry, should clarify my great grandad was william crownshaw.

Hi, my great grandad was a little mesters in wadsley, we must be related! I'm only just starting the family tree, so not got too much detail yet, but I do have a couple of crownshaw knives he made, name engraved, though not pen knives, they are bone handled eating knives. Marked W.S.Crownshaw, sheffield, England.

---------- Post added 14-03-2015 at 16:25 ----------

sorry, should clarify my great grandad was william crownshaw.

Any relation to Charlie Crownshaw, metalwork and tech drawing teacher at Owler Lane in the 60s?

Crownshaw is very much a local Sheffield surname - see here for example - and especially in the Wadsley, Hillsborough and Woodland View areas (another Charlie Crownshaw had a shop in Stannington Road in the 1960s). The 1851 census return lists 54 Crownshaws, all of whom lived in the Sheffield area (mostly on the north side) and the 2002 electoral roll lists 134 Crownshaws in the UK, of whom 75 lived in Sheffield. Here is a scan from the 1925 directory - all six Crownshaws listed lived within a short distance of Hillsborough Corner, including the W.S.Crownshaw who made the knives mentioned by hallyth.

Edited by hillsbro

Thanks for that hillsbro! I shall look into all that :)

---------- Post added 15-03-2015 at 18:24 ----------

Certainly William Savage Crownshaw was my great grandad, as listed in that 1925 directory. I believe he had 2 brothers, one who shared his workshop. His daughter, Mabel Annie, was my grandmother.

---------- Post added 16-03-2015 at 08:47 ----------

I presume dialectmad is a relative I know. 5th post so I can pm him to see!

• 7 years later...

Good afternoon everyone,I`m filling in time by casually looking for further details of my Great Uncle Jonathan Barton who was a Sheffield man who died in the Great War.When I typed his name into Ancestry I see that someone has already added him into their family tree with the name Crownshaw and wondered if anyone on here knows anything about it.He died in 1917 leaving a widow Ada Nora who`s maiden name was Maltby,ring any bells?

Edited by alfresco
I didn`t add notification

On 14/03/2015 at 16:19, Jim Hardie said:

Any relation to Charlie Crownshaw, metalwork and tech drawing teacher at Owler Lane in the 60s?

Mr Crownshaw  was a silversmith, he once brought in complete silver tea service and tray he had made to show us. Very impressive.

On 04/07/2022 at 12:55, alfresco said:

Good afternoon everyone,I`m filling in time by casually looking for further details of my Great Uncle Jonathan Barton who was a Sheffield man who died in the Great War.When I typed his name into Ancestry I see that someone has already added him into their family tree with the name Crownshaw and wondered if anyone on here knows anything about it.He died in 1917 leaving a widow Ada Nora who`s maiden name was Maltby,ring any bells?

This might be interesting if you haven't seen it already.

Snap-2022-07-05-at-15-56-44.png

Snap-2022-07-05-at-16-02-10.png

Mrs Barton was in the same house until they were scheduled for demolition in 1935.

Edward Maltby was involved in the Boston boating disaster in 1909.

Snap-2022-07-05-at-16-15-15.png

Edited by sadbrewer