Crank Shaft replacement

Do any mechanics on here know the approx cost of a crank shaft replacement?

Its for a 07 vauxhall astra van.

Radiator had a major leak which made the engine over heat while on motorway causing the can to break down and need rev

Recovering.

Its had a replacement radiator but now is making some strange sounds when running.

crank replacement is one of the most involved jobs which could be carried out on a vehicle. it basically means a full engine rebuild! i wouldnt think overheating the engine could cause this problem but other problems definately.

2 different people have guessed crank shaft... one was a mechanic but didnt look at the van in too much detail.

Maybe its not, taking it to an engine garage tomorrow but was trying to get a rough idea of cost if they decide that is the problem.

I have no idea about cars, so the crank shaft isnt damaged by over heating?

I'm guessing it's a diesel....?

Mate had one of these, same problem, he split a hose and there was no warning. Engine seized on the A66 it had overheated, spun a main bearing, and scuffed the hell out of the pistons.

New engine - £2000 fitted. Fortunatly his warranty company picked it up (through gritted teeth). I resovled never to buy a car without a temperature gauge after seeing this - his overheat light didn't come on as there was no water in the system to get it to turn on....

Yep if it's done as much damage as you say then it's a odds on for a full rebuild, or cheaper option to just replace the engine.

You'd though overheating could just pop the head-gasket, but if it sounds as it's running like a bag of spanners then you may have damaged the bottom end of the engine.

Obelix is probably pretty close to the cost of it too, second hand engine for that price tho I'd imagine.

It was under £800 for a crated engine from Vauxhall, the cost comes from swapping the ancillories like alternator, starter, etc over, and of course fitting in the engine bay. I was quite suprised it was so cheap, but as his mechanic said he doesnt like fleecing people on parts - he charges them on his labour and skill. 2 days to swap the engine over means he was charging about £65 an hour, which with overheads isn't too unreasonable.

Ring around the breakers yards you should be able to get a decent second hand engine for a reasonable price,stripping it down and rebuilding the engine is far too expensive.

---------- Post added 25-07-2013 at 16:29 ----------

The you don't know what you are talking about.

Engine overheats > Oil thins out of grade > Film strength fails > metal to metal contact = Damaged crank.

That depends how long they run it for usually if you don't have a temp guage by the the time you find out its overheating its to late,especially on the motorway..

Archived