First Ten Pin Bowling Alley

The one a frechville was built by the Clenal building company in the mid sixties and when it closed down a lot of the fittings went into Waldot Service Station on Middlewood rd to refurbish the new stores and offices which Clenal built for them.Clenal stood for Cliff,Len and Alan.

I worked for them along with another bricki called Joe Garrity, they gave us a Turkey for Christmas and then sacked us on the same day.

So we know how poor owd Derek Dooley felt although I bet he din't have to carry his Turkey home on two buses :hihi:

My mates and I used to frequent the Frechvlle Bowling Ally in 1962/3. It had a bar and I remember drinking lots of Watneys Red Barrel there. Also, if you stayed, and bowled all night, they gave you a free breakfast.

I also bowled at Firth Park before emigrating to Australia in 1964.

Firth park definitely still open going tonight to bowl in the works league.

Did you bowl there in the 80s, I used to work there on Thursday nights and remember the works league. Need a reminder of some names though!

Did you bowl there in the 80s, I used to work there on Thursday nights and remember the works league. Need a reminder of some names though!

I'm terrible with dates, might have been bowling in Woodside league on Fridays at 5.30 then, Ken Eliis runs works league for what seems like forever but league is down to ten teams now from a peak of 24.

• 7 months later...
Birley was open the same time if not before the beatles played Azena--remember the 2 red headed girls who took your money--spent many a night drinking coffee at 9d a cup--I think it was one of the first places you could legally be entertained thro the night ---with all night bowling leagues ===great days and nights

I was one of the red headed girls who worked behind the control 1963-1965

Happy Day's. Left Sheffield many years ago, return when I can and go down

Memory Lane.

• 1 year later...
I remember visiting the first Ten-Pin Bowling Alley in Sheffield if not the country , way back circa 1962, when it had just opened.

Visited this new pastime site one lunch time from work with colleagues and seem to recollect it was around Grimesthorpe/ Firth park areas.

Anyone any recollections of the opening of this Bowling Alley and if it still exists.

Gary Marshman

Youre a little late, frecheville opened I think around 1962, a little 12 lane centre, but it opened before firth park.