Should you call women "mate"?

"Cheers mate".

I know some people take exception to being called mate just generally, but it is generally considered by most people a polite way for most men to address most other men they don't know.

But is it ever OK to say it to a woman? I personally feel a bit uncomfortable saying 'love' or 'darling' or 'duck' or '****' because there have I recall been instances in which women found these or some of these offensive, so I sometimes say mate to women I think by way of habit.

Should I be doing that? Do you do it? Do you as a woman not like it? What term should I use? Or should I just forever resign myself to saying simply 'Thanks'?

I have no problem calling a woman 'mate'. I do, however, hate the modern trend for addessing a group of people as 'guys'.

With you on this.

My family enjoy the likes of TGI Friday but it absolutely grinds my gears when we are asked "Are you GUYS ready to order yet?"

My family consists of three girls (41, 13 and 10 years of age) and myself (age not disclosed). GUYS? Nope!

As for the OP, I wouldn't address a female with 'mate'; depending on whom I am talking to it's either 'luv' or well, nothing. Having said that, I use the term 'luv' when addressing males often enough (although usually those I know: it's safer that way!).

"Cheers mate".

I know some people take exception to being called mate just generally, but it is generally considered by most people a polite way for most men to address most other men they don't know.

But is it ever OK to say it to a woman? I personally feel a bit uncomfortable saying 'love' or 'darling' or 'duck' or '****' because there have I recall been instances in which women found these or some of these offensive, so I sometimes say mate to women I think by way of habit.

Should I be doing that? Do you do it? Do you as a woman not like it? What term should I use? Or should I just forever resign myself to saying simply 'Thanks'?

As a woman I neither like Mate nor Love, but the latter is preferable if I had to choose.. It all depends how well you know the person. Id stick to just saying 'thanks.'

"Cheers mate".

Mate is too "blokey" but it really depends on the individual woman. Whatever you decide to call her, you will know by the expression on her face whether she has objected.

Personally I don't mind being called "love", but as with "darling" "honey" "babe" etc some people (men or women) think its too familiar or patronising coming from a stranger.

Archived