Early/Mid 80's Local Bands

Till Man

I worked down the Leadmill for 7 years from 88 onwards so perhaps just outside the time scale your looking at, but do you remember Blammo!

Made some great records and even got air play on Radio 1 with "Ecoutez Et Repeatez" (excuse the spelling!). The singer and drummer, she was called Bromwyn, used to play down the old indoor cricket centre at Norfolk Bridge.

Jim:thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Aslan - mates of Jeremy in the Rock Soc? I'm sure you did a support slot in Bar2 (as was)? Also seem to remember a gig at Starz(?) - side of the ice rink.

As for Hi n Dry - Yeah, the guitarist (name escapes me) was at the Poly and Mick the singer was a student at the Uni (as you say, excellent harp player and pretty good blues/rock voice). He went on to (briefly) join Baby Tuckoo when Rob Armitage moved on to better things - well to join German metallers Accept anyway. Incidentally I think Andy Barrott (who had been with Geddes Axe before joining Baby Tuckoo) played in the last incarnation of the Lonely Hearts with Glenn Marples.

As for me - I did have long blond hair, still do in fact, it just starts a little higher up my forehead.:D

Darren, your memory is better than mine!!! I had forgotten all about the Starrs gig, maybe selective amnesia as I don't remember it being very good. The drummer (Mick) fell off his stool being too drunk to play, the singer (Nick) left very shortly afterwards too. So not the best of nights, but we did find replacements and carry on.

Never played bar2, though I'm sure we would have done if asked. We played pretty much anywhere that would have us!!!

• 7 years later...

Paul from the Toy Shop here (Sheffield 1982-1985, winners of 1st Top Rank Battle of the Bands). Now living in Melbourne, Australia, I had an album out in 2007 on Damaged Goods label featuring songs from my pre-Toy Shop Leeds punk/new wave band Psykik Volts (3 or 4 old recordings plus many new recordings of P. Volts songs).

Just put 2 old Toy Shop Towerbell Records promo videos up on YouTube - links to follow.

---------- Post added 23-05-2013 at 10:14 ----------

http://damagedgoods.co.uk/band/?c=Psykik-Volts and http://www.myspace.com/psykikvolts

for unreleased version of The Maze and
for our single Attack Decade. Wish I still had that hair!

Archived