Social workers need more training

the point is, they need to know whats going on before they can inform the police :rolleyes:

I think a person in such a position will have the ability to detect such behaviour.

What I still wonder is what has happened about the allegations made about suspected abuse in Rotherham and the authorities alleged lack of action.

It was headline news at the beginning of the year but seems to have just faded away since.

I think a person in such a position will have the ability to detect such behaviour.

What I still wonder is what has happened about the allegations made about suspected abuse in Rotherham and the authorities alleged lack of action.

It was headline news at the beginning of the year but seems to have just faded away since.

dunno about your second point, as for your first, as i said they aree lacking in the knowledge etc of technology, suppose its like the parent and his kids, the kids are always in front technology wise

dunno about your second point, as for your first, as i said they aree lacking in the knowledge etc of technology, suppose its like the parent and his kids, the kids are always in front technology wise

But they must have a suspicion something is happening in the first place and then it is up to the police to investigate.

But they must have a suspicion something is happening in the first place and then it is up to the police to investigate.

did you read the article?

The survey also found:

17% did not know how to "assess the risks" to a child when there was an "online dimension", such as internet grooming, to the case

20% said they did not know the "warning signs" of what online sexual abuse looks like

43% lacked confidence about the language used by young people talking about the internet, and more than a third said they did not know the right questions to ask in order to identify and assess online abuse

they dont have a clue where to begin

did you read the article?

they dont have a clue where to begin

I think most social workers would be more aware of situations than the article gives them credit for.

As I said earlier if there are suspicions it is their job to report these suspicions to the police who would follow up these suspicions.

Being crap at your job in most professions doesn't usually have such devastating consequences though does it?

You cant effect any change from the sharp end. Its utterly impossible. The change can only be made from the top.

If a social worker cannot affect change at the sharp end then there would be no point. Yes it's hellishly difficult even at the best of times.

I would agree that change is more likely when all the agencies (police, teachers, health care professionals) and the child's family work together in a coordinated way.

In the whole of the United Kingdom there were over 50,000 young people on the at risk register in 2012. (http://www.nspcc.org.uk/Inform/research/statistics/child_protection_register_statistics_wda48723.html)

I think the internet has opened up a whole new problem in terms of child protection and abuse.

But your post does raise an interesting point: if consequences of being crap at their job is devastating, which it can be; then surely much more emphasis should be placed on social care, rather than it being the 'cinderella' that it usually is

Archived