Disturbing News... the spotters are out

I was married to one (you can get degrees in it you know. They don't call it BSc in Spotterdom but that's what Transport and Planning really means) it runs in families too (his nephew was showing signs he'd inherited it by the age of 2) :shocked:

Travelling anywhere by train would be punctuated with him staring dreamily out of the window at trains and pointing out where particular trains came from mid conversation. It did sometimes get embarrassing if a rare train appeared as people tend to stare at hyperventilating spotters.

Mind you it makes Christmas present buying relatively simple ( did you ever wonder who buys those videos with titles like '100 most exciting train journies in the UK' ? )

They do look totally normal when not near any public transport honest

:D

Originally posted by rtapper

I saw a Sheffield Forum spotter the other day - was taking pics of people that go to this site - i collared him and all he would say is he needs a pic of the three most elusive people on the forum to complete his collection - Geoff, Sidla and t020 :P

How much is he willing to pay? If it helps I'll take a picture of myself on the forum and flog it to him.

Originally posted by spook1210

most days if you drive past RAF Waddington you see legions of them - oooooooooo a plane!

I think planes have got to be a bit more interesting than trains though, eh?

If i was going to be a 'something spotter', i'd pick planes over trains.

Mind you, less chance of getting locked up by the Greeks for being a train spotter...

I know in New Tupton (chesterfield),there is a bridge on Station Road.

Every morning,without fail there is two spotters on the bridge.They stand there armed with all manner of photographic equipment...poised read for a glimpse of something special.

What is that something special?...a goods train.

Not even a steam train or anything like that,just a plain old goods train,as it comes down the track they run with great enthusiasm towards the bridge...hoping for that special shot of the train :loopy: .

This hobby has to be on a level with,pigeon spotting,walkers crisp packet collecting and of course collecting beenie toys.

Happy spotting.

Just a quick look round WHSmiths shows how many hobbies there are.

There are things like:

'Civil War Weaponary Monthly'

'Motorhome Chemical Toilet UK'

'Today's Obelisk Builder'

'Flannel Weaving Guide'

and other such titles.

The fact is, that no matter how 'sad' somebody's hobby is, I'm glad that they have it. And that they have a number of magazines to read about it. And websites to visit. And clubs to join.

I think that a diverse variety of hobbies and interests is great.

This is britain, and we can spend our money and time on whatever we want.

And if what somebody wants is to build a Canal Dredging Steam Traction Engine in their back yard, then good luck to em.

We all have interests in things that other people find dull.

I read 'Graphics International' and 'Land Rover Monthly' all the time.

And i'll be putting in an order for 'Today's Obelisk Builder' the next time I go to collect my copy of 'Disused Lighthouse Spotting Monthly'.

Archived