Query about tenant credit checks

Buying a dwelling is increasingly a thing of the past. In this modern age, everyone is constantly on the move, switching hither and thither betwixt various cities and countries. As there is thus no longer any need to purchase the abode in which one currently resides, all houses will in the long run be rented out by local landlords and no one will bother to buy them for personal use, thereby creating an insurmountable inflation of the market by dint of lethal competition. The system will therefore gradually destroy itself from within. It is inexorable. Local landlordship will collapse, and all that remains will be the scavengers who call themselves housing associations. And then they, too, will collapse as the market withers and dies.

I pray and hope as many people as possible agree with you. You heard it here first folks, don't buy, ONLY RENT!

Potential tenants who moan, query, question or complain about the need for credit checks and there costs are tenants I avoid like the plague. If they're already moaning before they even get into the property you can bet your life they will be annoying as hell as tenants. From real life experience, those who complain about paying £150 for a credit check know they have a high chance of failing the checks, can't afford to rent the property or both. These are the same people who will try to haggle on the bond, the rent and everything else. They are tenants you don't need. These type of tenants will also phone to arrange for a lightbulb to be changed. They feel like the world owes them a living because they can't afford to buy a house which is their own fault.

Remember Landlords, you should always use a site like LandlordReferencing.co.uk on top of doing credit checks to ensure the tenant doesn't have a previous bad tenant record of non payment or property damage.

Arrr Sez I, keeping it real for Landlords.

arr sez ripping tennants and people off even before they have moved into a property

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

The letting agent is a commercial business who can charge whatever they want. Nobody is obliged to pay the fee - simply go elsewhere.

The fee generally isn't just a credit check but also includes taking references.

As I understand, the data the Letting Agents get back will show Defaults and CCJs, but not late payments.

Out of interest, if someone did fail a credit check - what could they do? Can they put down a larger deposit/bond to cover the (un)likelihood of unpaid rent?

There will be some people with a blemished credit history who are effectively shut out of the housing market (buying or renting) for six years.

There's an advert for tennant credit checks £10 at the bottom of this page? So it doesn't cost £150 does it!

No, it doesn't cost £150, we run a number of checks and require a lot of information, the checks total around £25. Credit check, background check, character and work references checked to ensure you are still in work, last 6 months bank statements and bank check to prove income and conduct, landlord check where we can see previous late rental non payments and any reported damage to property. We check social media and require your national insurance number so we can trace you should you abscond and garnish your wages or benefits with a court order. Bottom line, we find out everything about you, you can't hide anything and there is no escaping any debt you leave behind. This is a new dawn. If you've done it, we are going to know. If you're a bad egg, we are going to find out and you will fail the checks and be sent on your way. Do you think we are going to let you get your hands on a property worth £100,000+ if you have a questionable background in ANY capacity. HELL NO! And the £150 is to check two people so £75 each and this includes checking your guarantor who must be a home owner with equity and a job, without a guarantor you can't proceed. So all of this takes a lot of time to weed out the baduns and set up the tenancy. So the rest of the £150 is for our time, and to show the property. Do you think viewings are free? Have a word with yourself. Nothing is free in this world.

However, if you pass all the checks and have nothing to hide and prove to be a wonderful tenant, there is nothing we won't do to keep you happy. We want good tenants to stay.

---------- Post added 28-07-2013 at 13:26 ----------

Out of interest, if someone did fail a credit check - what could they do? Can they put down a larger deposit/bond to cover the (un)likelihood of unpaid rent? There will be some people with a blemished credit history who are effectively shut out of the housing market (buying or renting) for six years.

I wouldn't take on someone who failed my credit checks even if they paid 6 months rent in full in advance. Neither would any other sensible landlord or letting agent. We get 7-10+ interested tenants to every property we advertise, there is no need to even consider those with a questionable history. If people have a bad credit score, I don't want to waste one minute of my time talking to them, but if they force me to, they are paying £150 so the only person who has their time wasted is them. And rightly so, they are time wasting chancers mostly who knew they would fail the checks, the fees and criteria usually ensures they run a mile and don't bother. Nice people don't mind in the slightest and these are the people we want to deal with. Lovely.

I want to point out that I'm not quibbling over the cost of the credit check. I have paid estate agents' fees in the past, and I am happy to do so for the increased convenience and security.

I just wondered what criteria they use and what my chances and options are realistically.

The prices of these checks may be subject to regulation soon. They're already making it in Scotland that they must only be proportionate to the cost! That I'm afraid will come here in the end. The whole industry is up for tighter regulation soon!

Archived