The 'Women's Room'

I'd see the main point at issue is not whose pic is on the note, but that someone who demanded that for a change a woman should be depicted on one of our banknotes has been the target of such a vicious online campaign of threats and violence? As with your point, who even looks at the back of the note, so how can something so trivial have stirred so many people/men up to such a frenzy of hate and vitriol?

If she'd been a Muslim, then even mel might have been able to take the matter a bit seriously and not try to make light of it with tasteless 'humorous' comments.

I'd agree with most of that. What possesses a person to campaign for women on bank notes when there have been some in the past and always one currently in the form of the queen I don't really know. What makes a a group of people target her with threats of rape is probably either mental illness or such an irrational hatred of women and they need help/locking up. All this over a drawing on a piece of paper. If this was a Muslim issue we'd all be laughing our arses off at the stupidity of it all.

Basically, on Twitter, like on Facebook, most people are registered and posting under their real names, it's not like here where people can hide behind forum names and basically live in Fantasyland being a keyboard warrior.

Thanks for that, I imagine the police will be involved then, It can't be hard to track someone down for threatening to rape someone whilst using their true identity.

---------- Post added 28-07-2013 at 15:32 ----------

You think it more likely that a bunch of lesbians would threaten to rape a woman for campaigning for a woman to be put on the back of a bank note? :loopy:

Why would they need to be lesbians? Plenty of women have in the past encouraged men to rape other women.

---------- Post added 28-07-2013 at 15:35 ----------

That's how his mind works.:hihi:

I agree, I don't even make the assumption that you are female, you are just another anonymous person using an internet forum.

Perhaps they should put a picture of the front of a woman on the front of a note and the back of a woman (not necessarily the same one, but wearing the same clothing) on the back of the note?

Don't push it Rupert

Well, you could do the same with males, too ... but if I suggested that, no doubt somebody would say: "Why are you making such a bloody fuss about whose picture is on the money? - It's not as if you're going to collect the pictures and frame them, is it?"

The logic doesn't seem to apply equally.

I'd see the main point at issue is not whose pic is on the note, but that someone who demanded that for a change a woman should be depicted on one of our banknotes has been the target of such a vicious online campaign of threats and violence? As with your point, who even looks at the back of the note, so how can something so trivial have stirred so many people/men up to such a frenzy of hate and vitriol?

If she'd been a Muslim, then even mel might have been able to take the matter a bit seriously and not try to make light of it with tasteless 'humorous' comments.

oh give ooer wi thi, smile occasionly, its free ;)

on a serious note (no pun intended), personally speaking, i dont give a flying fig whos on mi notes

and as for the rape threats, thats just uncalled for, and shows the people responsible for what they are, scum of the lowest order and hopefully they will be arrested and dealt with like internet trolls are these days

The Brontes, more properly the Brauntys originally came from Ireland.
Yes that was only the father though, he married an English woman, and Charlotte was born in Yorkshire.

---------- Post added 28-07-2013 at 17:10 ----------

So, apparently, did every US president - including Barack Obama. (Or should that be Barack O'Bama? ;))
Is that so, I knew Kennedy, Reagan, Clinton and Obama had visited the birthplace of their ancestors, but didn't know all the others had Irish roots.

Is that so, I knew Kennedy, Reagan, Clinton and Obama had visited the birthplace of their ancestors, but didn't know all the others had Irish roots.

Well I did put "apparently". It was more a comment on US presidential candidates keenness to prove Irish ancestry to boost their chances of getting elected.

Anyway back on topicish. I'd have preferred a suffragette on the notes to upset the neanderthals, although maybe that should be delayed to coincide with the 100th anniversary of women gaining the vote.

Archived