Sexually assaulted in US court, then arrested.

Why is it that any time anything about America is discussed, several expats pipe up telling us that we haven't got a clue?

Do you think that the internet has a filter that makes the American news details all wrong before they reach us in the UK?

No, but before you comment (that's any 'you' - not you personally) it's always a good idea to read the thread.

If you're going to make a comment on legal procedures, it's probably a good idea to read the thread very carefully indeed.

Catpus tried to tell us that: "things that happen 10,000 miles away are never going to affect us? Directly or indirectly? Are you aware that all Judges use precedents?

How naïve and short sighted to try and deter people from discussing or being interested in, anything but their own city..."

Reslly? And what legal qualification does Catpus (or anybody else on this forum have which would require a British Judge to pay attention to something which happened in a court in Nevada?

Is Catpus the British Attorney General? (It would certainly take somebody with a bit of 'clout' to dictate to the British judiciary - and I doubt somebody with a mere American JD and membership of the Nevada (or any other) bar would try to dictate to the British judiciary

... but Catpus has told us:" All judges use precedents."

That seems to suggest (and if you've got a different interpretation, feel free to help my digestion even further) that British Judges are obliged to pay attention to the mouthings of an American 'Hearing Master' when Catpus says so.

'Hearing Master' - Not 'Judge'

(Most All the judges I've come across (and it's more than a few ;)) are, (perhaps understandably) a bit sensitive about their status and the correct mode of address.

Megalithic started referring to the woman as 'The Judge'. Nobody else did. it appears that the woman was a 'Hearing Master'. (I've no idea what one of those is, but it's not a Judge.)

It does pay to read the words before you comment on the story.

I'm not sure why, but at this time of year - every year - we seem to move into the 'silly season' where people are more than willing to spout off without bothering to read the original post.

Things seem to steady down a bit when the students get back.

As much as you, I and others may disagree here in the General Discussions section, I find it much more interesting than the Sheffield Discussions section

Why is it that any time anything about America is discussed, several expats pipe up telling us that we haven't got a clue?

Do you think that the internet has a filter that makes the American news details all wrong before they reach us in the UK?

I don't suppose what happened here was wrongly quoted. What bothers me is the glee obvious in the reporting it. I don't bother reporting things that happen in Sheffield with a laugh. That's cos there's nowt to laugh at. You are as free to comment as much as you like, but saying you're 10,000 miles from Nevada kind of makes it look like you haven't a clue.

Is this Sheffield Forum? Don't we have enough problems to discuss without commenting, and making ill informed comments at that on incidents about 10,000 miles away?

Wow I mean talk about being insular...

No, why it would concern you at all I'm sure you'd get on fine without knowing. Other people may be more interested than you, and it is the general section...

Besides, any affront to justice ina place where British people, even Sheffielders dare I say, occasionally visit is going to be of interest.

No, but before you comment (that's any 'you' - not you personally) it's always a good idea to read the thread.

If you're going to make a comment on legal procedures, it's probably a good idea to read the thread very carefully indeed.

Catpus tried to tell us that: "things that happen 10,000 miles away are never going to affect us? Directly or indirectly? Are you aware that all Judges use precedents?

How naïve and short sighted to try and deter people from discussing or being interested in, anything but their own city..."

Reslly? And what legal qualification does Catpus (or anybody else on this forum have which would require a British Judge to pay attention to something which happened in a court in Nevada?

Is Catpus the British Attorney General? (It would certainly take somebody with a bit of 'clout' to dictate to the British judiciary - and I doubt somebody with a mere American JD and membership of the Nevada (or any other) bar would try to dictate to the British judiciary

... but Catpus has told us:" All judges use precedents."

That seems to suggest (and if you've got a different interpretation, feel free to help my digestion even further) that British Judges are obliged to pay attention to the mouthings of an American 'Hearing Master' when Catpus says so.

'Hearing Master' - Not 'Judge'

(Most All the judges I've come across (and it's more than a few ;)) are, (perhaps understandably) a bit sensitive about their status and the correct mode of address.

Megalithic started referring to the woman as 'The Judge'. Nobody else did. it appears that the woman was a 'Hearing Master'. (I've no idea what one of those is, but it's not a Judge.)

It does pay to read the words before you comment on the story.

I'm not sure why, but at this time of year - every year - we seem to move into the 'silly season' where people are more than willing to spout off without bothering to read the original post.

Things seem to steady down a bit when the students get back.

One of my friends is a circuit judge for the State of Connecticut. When he is not working on making sure the right people go to jail, he likes to take a ride on his Harley Davidson, bandana and all. We're all weird over here, letting him get away with it.:hihi:

Archived