Is Sheffield Council about to sell off bits of Graves Park YET AGAIN?

The latest is that the Charity Commission are looking into this, now that the Council as advertised its intention to sell.

I hope all those Graves Park lovers out there realize that if Cobnar Cottage is sold, we could lose the rest of it!. We might be left with a small park, a shadow of its former self, surrounded by new housing estates built for fat cats!

It's up for sale on the 26th January at Mark jenkinsons property auction= http://www.markjenkinson.co.uk/auctions/tuesday-26th-january-2016/display/Cobnar%20Cottage,%20Cobnar%20Road,%20Graves%20Park,%20Sheffield-|-1997#lot

---------- Post added 05-01-2016 at 02:38 ----------

Signed.........

Could the Community Right to Bid not be used here?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/2010-to-2015-government-policy-localism/2010-to-2015-government-policy-localism#appendix-2-community-right-to-bid

If an 'asset of community value' is being sold then the local authority has to notify any interested parties (Graves Park). Graves Park could then pause the sale for up to 6 months in order to raise the funds to buy the building.

I guess the sticking point would be whether or not cottage is seen as an 'asset of community value'. I would argue that as the cottage was gifted to the community it is such an asset, and just because it as been left to rot by the Council it doesn't change that...

I'm sure the cottage is not on any 'asset lists' as described in the .gov blurb, but then as part of a park that previously the council had no authority to divide and sell off then it would never have needed to be..

How can they do this? Does anyone know the Charity Commissions view on this? In fact I shall contact them and see. Will post back if/when I get a response.

On the Friends of Graves Park website they say that the council says that have contacted the Charity Commission and they have OK'd the sale. Disgrace.

On the Friends of Graves Park website they say that the council says that have contacted the Charity Commission and they have OK'd the sale. Disgrace.

i am going to the auction and will be bidding on this property:thumbsup: anyone else including friends of graves park can also bid:o be prepared for a lot of work as this will need careful expensive restoration:thumbsup:

Well I've just reported the Charity for this sale, asking the charities commission to further investigate the legality of the sale.

---------- Post added 05-01-2016 at 11:08 ----------

i am going to the auction and will be bidding on this property:thumbsup: anyone else including friends of graves park can also bid:o be prepared for a lot of work as this will need careful expensive restoration:thumbsup:

Of course you will be. That's because as you don't even live here you don't need to care in the slightest about our council acting against the interests and wants of the local population who are actually the owners of that land. How about I sell your car? You ok with that? Because I don't actually own that either.

Well I've just reported the Charity for this sale, asking the charities commission to further investigate the legality of the sale.

---------- Post added 05-01-2016 at 11:08 ----------

Of course you will be. That's because as you don't even live here you don't need to care in the slightest about our council acting against the interests and wants of the local population who are actually the owners of that land. How about I sell your car? You ok with that? Because I don't actually own that either.

yes i will i viewed it yesterday and i do live here and its a good development opportunity if it goes for the right price, the council clearly own that land as they are able to sell it, they have the deeds its freehold. believe me i am no fan of this council either but its a free market.

i actually think this will go to someone who will live there as it needs far too much work if it goes much above the guide anyway but you never know:thumbsup: there are other opportunities at the auction also:rolleyes:

It does rather stink of councils selling off council houses and council buildings, but in this case the building doesn't even belong to the council.

it clearly belongs to the council as they have the freehold deeds:thumbsup: Mark Jenkinsons wouldnt have taken the instruction otherwise:rolleyes: