Is Sheffield Council about to sell off bits of Graves Park YET AGAIN?

I rewired that cottage many year's ago..... i wasn't happy to do it under the circumstances, i will reserve judgments

so it has new wiring ?? thats good, some money saved there then:P

---------- Post added 07-01-2016 at 10:54 ----------

Strange that the legal pack is not uploaded yet.

Maybe the auctioneers are having second thoughts given the publicity and number of signatures on the petition....

legal pack available now, nothing of great note, apart from it does say that the charity trust is able to transfer legally.

I still don't understand how the council can sell something that doesn't belong to them - if I tried to sell my neighbours house think they'd be a bit upset!! The park was gifted to the people of Sheffield for their enjoyment - end of story!! Sign the petition now :help:

I've just signed the petition. It's pushing 5,000 now. Lots of comments have been left on the petition. It looks like most people are really switched on to the issues here. It seems a bit of a stretch for the Council to say that people don't care about this issue. I'm struggling to see how selling any part of Graves Park can be of any benefit to Graves Park. Graves Park does not need to raise funds to operate, therefore the Council, who are trustees, are making decisions based on the best interests of the Council. Since trustees are legally required to operate in the best interest of the charity there is clearly a conflict of interest here and independent trustees should be appointed. The existing trustees are opening themselves up to prosecution should this sale take place, so these councillors should think very carefully about their current position.

I've just signed the petition. It's pushing 5,000 now. Lots of comments have been left on the petition. It looks like most people are really switched on to the issues here. It seems a bit of a stretch for the Council to say that people don't care about this issue. I'm struggling to see how selling any part of Graves Park can be of any benefit to Graves Park. Graves Park does not need to raise funds to operate, therefore the Council, who are trustees, are making decisions based on the best interests of the Council. Since trustees are legally required to operate in the best interest of the charity there is clearly a conflict of interest here and independent trustees should be appointed. The existing trustees are opening themselves up to prosecution should this sale take place, so these councillors should think very carefully about their current position.

still going to be sold:roll:

Graves Park = 87 hectares = 214.98 acres

Cobnar Cottage = "less than" 1 acre.

On the above figures the following statement is correct......

"Basically in the grand scheme of the rest of the charitable trust land the sale of this small part is inconsequential or no detriment to the rest and as it is not expressly prohibiting the sale it can be sold."

However, that's not the point. It belongs to the people of Sheffield and we are merely looking after it for future generations. We have no moral right to sell any part of it.

I thought the deeds stated that land could only be disposed of as a last resort, and only if the money raised was used to buy further land of equal or higher amenity value to the park. The land can't be sold and cash used to mow the grass.

SCC need to sell everything they can to make up for the budgets shortfall due to hairbrained schemes, traffic, asylumn seekers, various street projects , the markets, student games etc etc and probably supported by the very people that are protesting at this sale now??

Student games... Are you serious?