Is Sheffield Council about to sell off bits of Graves Park YET AGAIN?

I have not bought a copy of the Sheffield Star for years but I know they have been covering the story for years, here is just one of the stories. http://www.thestar.co.uk/lifestyle/culture/sheffield-s-graves-park-cottage-set-to-be-sold-off-1-6954049

Yes, a story brought about from the Friends of Graves Park and not an example of the council openly saying that we plan to sell off this cottage, we think we can do this legally because of..., and when it sells it will fund the following projects dependant on sale price...

We are arguing a minor point. I find the lack of communication from the council frustrating and it makes me distrustful of them. Then in turn I doubt their motives in all things, like selling off a cottage they seem to have full legal rights to do so. I want the council to make more effort to involve people like me who do care and do try to find out information about how things are going. I thought the cottage had tried to be sold in the past and the council were told they weren't allowed. That was the last I'd heard until before Christmas.

It was a different cottage. They were told it was illegal, but that could have been a procedural defect rather than it being illegal to sell the cottage per se. Youd have to look at the ruling to find out more.

The one advantage Graves park does have is its right next to the main Uni campus and i bet they do have influence and financial muscle.

I have not bought a copy of the Sheffield Star for years

That's because we use the internet now. Here's how to disseminate news properly with a simple cut and paste.

http://www.facebook.com

http://www.twiiter.com

http://www.linkedin.com

and the holy of holies, http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/news where I note that the council are today claiming that they secured a Lottery funding for the General Cemetery.

Edited by Eric Arthur

Yes, a story brought about from the Friends of Graves Park and not an example of the council openly saying that we plan to sell off this cottage, we think we can do this legally because of..., and when it sells it will fund the following projects dependant on sale price...

We are arguing a minor point. I find the lack of communication from the council frustrating and it makes me distrustful of them. Then in turn I doubt their motives in all things, like selling off a cottage they seem to have full legal rights to do so. I want the council to make more effort to involve people like me who do care and do try to find out information about how things are going. I thought the cottage had tried to be sold in the past and the council were told they weren't allowed. That was the last I'd heard until before Christmas.

I agree. I feel slightly conflicted by the message recently put out by the Council.

On the face of it I understand their reasoning and I think if this was properly outlined from the beginning and there had been proper community consultation involving the Friends of Graves Park then I very much doubt the council would have received this negative response.

However, the lack of communication and the previous attempts by the council to sell off Graves Park, (which have been found to be unlawful), have made it difficult not the approach this with a certain level of cynicism.

The statement by the council where they emphatically state that they have no plans to sell off any more park also rings a little hollow when they have attempted to do exactly that in the past..

From the accounts; "If expenditure is greater than income the variance is borne by Sheffield City Council and not brought forward into the following year." About £250k each year.

There's the challenge, to increase the Trust's income (and/or reduce expenditure) to such a level as to eliminate the need for Council support. As long as that is required the park remains vulnerable. At present the income of the Trust is less than half the annual costs required to maintain the park.

If we want to help we need to be applying constructive thinking to improve that balance, and in ways that will hold good for many years. Spending more money without very early covering income isn't practical in the current economic climate.

Have a look at the latest accounts; (They came out upside down for me - perhaps that's an indication of the problem!)

I've always gotten the impression that SCC have a contemptuous opinion of the people they are paid to serve.

Hardly surprising when the same cretins vote them in time and time again. They know they can essentially do what they want because it won't matter.

Hardly surprising when the same cretins vote them in time and time again. They know they can essentially do what they want because it won't matter.

The voters of Sheffield can be very fickle, they like to change who runs the city, unfortunately no one seems to remember who to blame.

Jan Wilson 1998-1999 Labour

Peter More 1999-2002 LibDem

Jan Wilson 2002-2003 No Overall Control

Jan Wilson 2003-2007 Labour

Jan Wilson 2007-2008 No Overall Control

Paul Scriven 2008-2010 LibDem

Paul Scriven 2010-2011 No Overall Control

Julie Dore 2001- present Labour

As I like to remind people, no matter who you vote for the council always get in.

Sadly on the say so of the Charities Commission who have okayed it. I'm sure they consulted land lawyers to sign it off as well. Unless someone who knows land and property law is willing to challenge it in court, then I think we have to accept the inevitable and hold the council to account over the usage of any funds generated from the sale.

It looks like they probably are. I came upon this on T'net.

https://crowdfunding.justgiving.com/Friends-of-Graves-Park