Is Sheffield Council about to sell off bits of Graves Park YET AGAIN?

If the building had been maintained correctly it would have been providing a regular income stream for use by the park.

Alternatively it could be used for whole variety of leisure or educational purposes.

OK so how much would that have brought in bearing in mind there are other empty or little used buildings in the city that the council have trouble filling on a full time basis.

The sale of this unused and derelict building has brought in £200,000 plus has attracted match funding that kind of money would not be generated by renting as accommodation nor by letting it for leisure/educational purposes

Cobnar Cottage is not the only neglected building in Sheffield, there are thousands that require more maintenance than they're getting, be they in private or public ownership. How many of us have repaired every single dripping tap, dislodged ridge tile, rotten door frame before it became a bigger issue? We all defer routine maintenance when it suits. Lack of money. Unsure whether to redecorate, sell up, or do a total rebuild, so end up doing nothing.

There's a massive publically owned building you can't really miss, just at the back of the railway station. For some obscure reason it's listed, so can't be demolished, yet it's too expensive to totally renovate within the next 15-20 years. There are a lot more buildings that need urgent attention to make Sheffield a city to be architecturally proud of. And I repeat they're not all the fault of the council by any means.

OK so how much would that have brought in bearing in mind there are other empty or little used buildings in the city that the council have trouble filling on a full time basis.

The sale of this unused and derelict building has brought in £200,000 plus has attracted match funding that kind of money would not be generated by renting as accommodation nor by letting it for leisure/educational purposes

Have you seen how the Council use such funds?

50% of it will be lost in "charges" for internal services which are actually staff doing their normal work and already paid from other sources.

You are determined not to see the loss that is occurring by the Council pursuing their attitude of selling an asset that is now lost for ever and sets a precedent which will result in renewed attempts to sell off more of the park.

Have you seen how the Council use such funds?

50% of it will be lost in "charges" for internal services which are actually staff doing their normal work and already paid from other sources.

You are determined not to see the loss that is occurring by the Council pursuing their attitude of selling an asset that is now lost for ever and sets a precedent which will result in renewed attempts to sell off more of the park.

do you have link to these internal charges ? and what will happen is that the money will be spent on people doing their normal work but which then allows for the cost that would be otherwise used in graves park to be used elsewhere to make another park look better.

i can see your not going to answer any of my questions directly, i dont see a loss of an asset i see the disposal of a liabilty that has in turn generated a large amount of money that can keep the real asset ( the park) in a better state than it would have been.

do you have link to these internal charges ? and what will happen is that the money will be spent on people doing their normal work but which then allows for the cost that would be otherwise used in graves park to be used elsewhere to make another park look better.

i can see your not going to answer any of my questions directly, i dont see a loss of an asset i see the disposal of a liabilty that has in turn generated a large amount of money that can keep the real asset ( the park) in a better state than it would have been.

The asset was allowed to become a liability through mismanagement by the Council.

By doing so, they failed in their duty as Trustees.

• 1 month later...
Oh don't worry about me. ......I've not gone away. This will not end here.

I’ve been working hard and otherwise engaged for a few weeks but found an idle moment this evening to catch up on Sheffield issues, so I thought I’d check up on the Cobnar Cottage saga. Therefore, I was a little surprised to discover a state of silence.

foxy lady had promised “This will not end here” but, unless I’ve missed something, nothing else has happened.

So, foxy lady, is anything happening or were you an empty vessel making a lot of noise? All fur coat and no knickers, perhaps?

I’ve been working hard and otherwise engaged for a few weeks but found an idle moment this evening to catch up on Sheffield issues, so I thought I’d check up on the Cobnar Cottage saga. Therefore, I was a little surprised to discover a state of silence.

foxy lady had promised “This will not end here” but, unless I’ve missed something, nothing else has happened.

So, foxy lady, is anything happening or were you an empty vessel making a lot of noise? All fur coat and no knickers, perhaps?

Arm Chair Protesters

why are you being so rude to some one who just wanted to save something that was given to the people of Sheffield , not the council ?