Beware "British" Wine.

We recently had a barbecue and I nipped into ASDA for some extra wine. I usually just grab a couple of dozen bottles from their 3 for a tenner range as they are perfectly adequate with barby food. However one bottle didn't go down too well at all.

Close examination revealed the Three Mills Reserve was British Wine. This turns out to be rather different from English wine which is wine made from English grapes.

British wine it turns out is wine made in the UK from imported grape concentrate, water and sugar. It was pretty foul low grade muck. I'm rather disappointed that ASDA would put this stuff on the same shelf as "proper" wine.

Yes I know you don't expect greatness from the 3 for a tenner stuff, but this was worse than the filth that used to be deemed wine lake.

I bought the Three Mills once.

Not twice then? :hihi:

---------- Post added 29-07-2013 at 17:22 ----------

Is this because English wine has a protected standard or something?

So some scheming sod decided 'British Wine' was open for abuse and brewed up some gut-rot.

British wine seems to be a tern coined to cover home brew. Buy grape concentrate from anywhere in the world where it is cheapest. Bring it in to the UK in big vats. Mix it with water sugar and yeast. Fit airlock. Call it British wine.

Is this because English wine has a protected standard or something?

So some scheming sod decided 'British Wine' was open for abuse and brewed up some gut-rot.

To be fair if you were going to conceive such a ruse 'British' would be the last name you'd give it, perhaps 'Antipodean' or 'Continental' would attract more punters!

Archived