Police doing spot eye test

I think it's a good idea. There must be a lot of people driving dangerously due to poor eyesight, especially elderly drivers.

All joking apart you are right, but don't just blame the elderly my son in law is a good driver, but I noticed that when he read the paper or anything he held it close to his face.

I said have you had your sight checked he laughed and said I'm only young, anyway eventually he went & now wears glasses for driving and such, he's 27 & 24 when he got them it's not just the elderly who get poor eyesight.

All joking apart you are right, but don't just blame the elderly my son in law is a good driver, but I noticed that when he read the paper or anything he held it close to his face.

I said have you had your sight checked he laughed and said I'm only young, anyway eventually he went & now wears glasses for driving and such, he's 27 & 24 when he got them it's not just the elderly who get poor eyesight.

Yeah, its not just the elderly, but you do hear of some elderly drivers who cause accidents and it turns out they are virtually blind.

I am 29 and I need to wear glasses to drive (short-sightedness and astigmatism), I have worn them for about 10 years and have been driving for 5 1/2. I wouldn't dream of getting behind the wheel without glasses or contact lenses, especially at night.

I think a lot of people just assume their eyes are fine but they should still get them tested regularly. Gradual deterioration over time is not very noticeable.

Yeah, its not just the elderly, but you do hear of some elderly drivers who cause accidents and it turns out they are virtually blind.

I am 29 and I need to wear glasses to drive (short-sightedness and astigmatism), I have worn them for about 10 years and have been driving for 5 1/2. I wouldn't dream of getting behind the wheel without glasses or contact lenses, especially at night.

I think a lot of people just assume their eyes are fine but they should still get them tested regularly. Gradual deterioration over time is not very noticeable.

Oh yes some of the old buggers are terrible I'll grant you, but most people don't like to admit they need specs I'm astigmatic also, thankfully I don't drive.

of course...

http://www.itv.com/news/wales/story/2013-02-27/driver-eye-tests-crackdown/

---------- Post added 29-07-2013 at 17:37 ----------

why they need an expensive BMW in the layby is beyond me.no wonder theres no money for officers!

Having read both links given in two posts here, a reader would be excused for getting confused about the prescribed distance for number plate reading since the S Wales reporter has got it wrong.

For a new style plate (AB12 XYZ) the distance is 20m.

For the old-style plates (Y942 GEX) the distance WAS 20.5m since the font size was slightly bigger.

Revocation of the licence on eyesight test failure may follow a lot quicker (in hours) but I can't see the PC's letting anyone drive off for those few hours since disqualification follows surely from not being able to read the plate from the prescribed distance ... well, I hope they don't let them drive off.

Actually, I think it's a very good idea (the test, not the BMW parked up).

Re the BMW - if the roadside check turned up a fellow citizen up to no good at all, quite prepared to boot it to evade an awkward question, would you have them try to keep up in a Focus?

Seems to me there's a persistent anti-police world that misses no opportunity to have a ridiculous, unthinking, bigoted pop at those in blue. Sad innit?

---------- Post added 29-07-2013 at 20:18 ----------

Years ago I used to do work for an old lady at Bents Green who still used to drive despite being registered blind!

And you reported her, of course. (??)

When I first started driving in the 1980s, there were actually traffic police and people did get stopped from time to time. Nowadays it appears to be almost unheard of. I am glad the police are checking drivers' eyesight. Long may it continue.

Archived