Seaside Resorts Stuck in Time

I think that a lot of people like our seaside towns, as they have kept as much of their originality as they possibly can. I know they've had to move with the times in lots of areas, but it's being so quaint I suppose that still attracts people.

Being 33, I have been a regular holiday camper in Skegness since I was over 5 years old and have been astounded by the changes over the years, not a lot has changed at all.

We used to go on the Golden Sands site at Chapel in the early 90's then from the late 00's onwards we have been at the Happy Days site opposite Yabba-Dabba-Doos shop.

The Dixie bar on the end has closed as that has been there since the ark and there has been the exact same arcade machines in the amusements since well, the dawn of time.

We also go to Ingoldmels markets AKA Eastgate markets which is effectively the Peckham of the north east.

The city centre is not bad if a bit dated but it at least puts most cities to shame with its unique charm.

The acts who play the theatres are usually Ken Dodd and Cannon & Ball types, probably only wage they get :hihi:

And as usual, you have the typical Jeremy Kyle types with prams, beer bellies and kids with more tat then a £££ shop.

The village with the Co-op past the Golden Sands end of town, is littered with shops that would be trendy in the 50's.

Something must have changed it seems Skegness is now a city

I think that a lot of people like our seaside towns, as they have kept as much of their originality as they possibly can. I know they've had to move with the times in lots of areas, but it's being so quaint I suppose that still attracts people.

I agree. Part of the charm of the Yorkshire and Lincolnshire coastal towns is just how little they change and so people who remember childhood holidays are now taking their own kids there.

Compared to modern cities where every five minutes some developer is knocking down characterful old buildings and putting up another soulless office block or shopping centre I find it quite appealing.

I agree. Part of the charm of the Yorkshire and Lincolnshire coastal towns is just how little they change and so people who remember childhood holidays are now taking their own kids there.

Compared to modern cities where every five minutes some developer is knocking down characterful old buildings and putting up another soulless office block or shopping centre I find it quite appealing.

Yes or like here in Bournemouth where they put up an Imax right across the view of the sea as you come into town only to pull it down a couple of years later cos it was so hated. I'd like to visit Mablethorpe, Sutton on Sea, Brid etc just to see if it IS just as I remember from my childhood and enjoy the memories.

Archived