Old mines in gleadless,

Hi, just interested to know if anyone knows anything about the old mines at gleadless ? I had heard there was one just of gleadless common, near to where the old farm is, which is now new houses ?

Any help is really appreciated :)

Try and get hold of Pauline Shearstones books about Gleadless, if I remember correctly there is quite a lot about the mines in them. They used to be sold at the post office at townend.

yes there was a drift mine on the common.one on fox lane and just behind the old harrow before base green was built.as the last post says,these books are quite good.

Thankyou, I will try and track this book down.

Many thanks :)

Try and get hold of Pauline Shearstones books about Gleadless...
Two of Pauline Shearstone's books are available via Amazon - A History of Gleadless at £12.95 and The Changing Face of Gleadless at £6.46 + p & p. Her book Gleadless: From VIllage to Suburb..." can be found via ABE Books at £33.95. The book "Old Gleadless: Just a Little Country VIllage" must also be scarce, but a copy can be had via Amazon for £39.95..:)

There was a drift mine on Gleadless Common in the fourty's and fifty's. It was opposite Gleadless Crescent

A lovely little oasis council estate now demolished so as to build twice as many private dwellings [progress eh!].

Us kids used the pit tip to sledge down in the Winter.

Below the pit was Mrs Kents Orchard, The Common and Crescent where countryside in those days.

I live by the entrance to the Common on Gleadless Road, when I was given the deeds to my house they contained lots of drawings on flimsy tracing paper of the land boundaries of the plots sold off on the Common by the original owners.

Apparently my bungalow is built on the land where two bungalows were stood in the late 1800s.

I found them very interesting reading and I'm sure any local historian would find them fascinating.

Thankyou everyone, I bought a house just of gleadless common a few years ago, and found the history of the area very interesting. Someone we know in the area also said old mines run underneath some of the area, if so it would be interesting to now where.

There was a drift mine on Gleadless Common in the fourty's and fifty's. It was opposite Gleadless Crescent

A lovely little oasis council estate now demolished so as to build twice as many private dwellings [progress eh!].

Us kids used the pit tip to sledge down in the Winter.

Below the pit was Mrs Kents Orchard, The Common and Crescent where countryside in those days.

Thankyou, was this close to the old farm on gleadless common, which is now new houses?

Thanks everyone.

Thankyou everyone, I bought a house just of gleadless common a few years ago, and found the history of the area very interesting. Someone we know in the area also said old mines run underneath some of the area, if so it would be interesting to now where.

Thankyou, was this close to the old farm on gleadless common, which is now new houses?

Thanks everyone.

Yes that is right only the pit was about 200 yards above Dodsons farm on the oposite side of the Common.

The site was buit on by Frank Clifton [builder].

Dodsons farm land completly surrounde the Gleadless Crescent at that time ,Corn was grown in the fields oposite the Punch Bowl this later became a Rugby pitch to the newly built schools.

Hurfield girls school was built on Dobsons land and also land that used to be Davy Uniteds sports club with cricket, tennis and football pitches.

Yes that is right only the pit was about 200 yards above Dodsons farm on the oposite side of the Common.

The site was buit on by Frank Clifton [builder].

Dodsons farm land completly surrounde the Gleadless Crescent at that time ,Corn was grown in the fields oposite the Punch Bowl this later became a Rugby pitch to the newly built schools.

Hurfield girls school was built on Dobsons land and also land that used to be Davy Uniteds sports club with cricket, tennis and football pitches.

I live on durlstone crescent, which was not to far from where, the mine was with the sound of it, our houses where built in the early 1950's where the top of the road was built before the war.