Canceling sky phone and internet and tv

just wondered if anyone as had the same problen tried to cancel my sky tv phone and internet when i phoned them they told me i could cancel phone and internet but not tv could this be true

This is interesting, I cancelled my Phone and broadband ok when I finally got through to the cancellation line which must be manned by one person because it took ages to get through.

They tried every way possible to stop me from cancelling however I was having none of it and threatened them that if they didn't cancel it immediately I would cancel my Sky tv at the same time, guess what? they cancelled it.

Sky informed me that my charges were going up this month, we had a 12 year old sky box and was told it would cost £199 + £60 installation fee to upgrade to Sky +, when I mentioned the magical word 'Cancellation' they gave me the box free and installation free however we are tied to a 12 month contract with them, if this rises any more per month then we will cancel this and go with freesat, most of the channels are tosh anyway on Sky but the deal they offered me was outstanding. If you cancel, watch, they will call you and offer you a deal after a month or so as they don't like losing customers

We recently cancelled all of our Sky products as the cost just creeping up. We did the usual trick of calling and saying we'd like to cancel HD or Movies and they'd knock the price down but then 6 months later it would go back up.

We ended buying a Humax FreeSat box and got phone & broadband from BT so after the initial cost of the box we're now saving around £60 a month.

We didn't have any issues cancelling but we must get at least 2 letters a week begging us to go back and they used to call us every week too until I had a long chat with one of the sales reps and told him how great the FreeSat box was...he said 'yeah, my mate just bought one and it's really good....sorry to bother you, I'll remove you from the call list now!'

I cancelled my Sky a couple of years back, as I was out of contract. Wasn't a problem apart from everything that i'd recorded on Sky+ was locked in the box, even though i'd already paid for it. Typical Sky tactic.

You don't need Sky these days for extra channels, and they know it. You will not miss it after a few days, if anything it's a relief.

As for your phone line and broadband, you should never get tied into a contract as they have you over a barrel. Read the small print and you will find they can put prices up as they please, and trying to leave them usually results in a long drawn out process with penalties.

My advice to anyone is use Freeview/Freesat for your telly.

Keep your phone line on BT, they don't hold you to their broadband. You pay slightly more for your line rental, but you're not tied in.

Use a cheap internet provider, but buy your own modem. I use PlusNet.

Going back to Sky+. If you have a Smart TV with USB ports in the back you can save money on a recorder by buying a £50 1TB External Hard Drive, like you have for your computer. Plug this into the back of the TV, the TV will ask if you want to format the EHD to your TV. Then simply record onto it.

Saves spending £200 on having another big box under your telly ;)

Archived