Sports Direct 90% of staff on 0 hour contracts

This is post 73, but what exactly do you want me to answer?

If it's what I think is acceptable, then I see no reason why a company cannot operate efficiently with full time and part time staff on regular hours, like we managed welll enough with for years.

Any company worth its salt should know when its busy and slack times are and can arrange rotas accordingly. Agency staff can always be used for exceptionally busy times like Christmas or whatever, but still with a guaranteed number of hours.

here here annab well said :thumbsup: i can just imagine in years to come when ash and hillpigs grandkids start work on zero hour contracts and cant afford to rent/buy a house and they turn to their grandads and say why is this happening ? they will say well once upon a time unions in this country had some power and kept bosses in line to stop them doing what they wanted . then a lady prime minister came along and she didnt like what the unions were doing and decided to stop these nasty men from having so much power and destroyed them (with the help of the police). so there you go grandson/granddaughter the zero hour working man/woman have nothing left to show for it :huh:. now stick the kettle on and make a cuppa for your grandad oh wait the phones ringing and you got to go to work now what on a sunday afternoon at 4 oclock well you just think yourself lucky we got zero hour contracts :hihi:

This is post 73, but what exactly do you want me to answer?

Just what you wrote...

If it's what I think is acceptable, then I see no reason why a company cannot operate efficiently with full time and part time staff on regular hours, like we managed welll enough with for years.

We did? Which years? I've been working 23 years and I've always done them (or week by week contracts which isn't much difference)

If it's what I think is acceptable, then I see no reason why a company cannot operate efficiently with full time and part time staff on regular hours, like we managed well enough with for years.

Some businesses yes, but not all. If you have a plan it would have to be set out clearly. When you try and implement something like this, it will prove inefficient, by the laws of obviousness.

Any company worth its salt should know when its busy and slack times are and can arrange rotas accordingly. Agency staff can always be used for exceptionally busy times like Christmas or whatever, but still with a guaranteed number of hours.

Yes they could. All would mean fewer people in work.

All your suggestions are ones that stifle companies (who you don't like) and everyone else suffers with it. This is what causes other countries to out price us in most industries that employ large numbers of people.

The houses of parliament is also gigantic, lets tag all our MPs and find out just what work they actually do.

Now you're being silly Anna.

All your suggestions are ones that stifle companies (who you don't like) and everyone else suffers with it. This is what causes other countries to out price us in most industries that employ large numbers of people.

Now you're being silly Anna.

In case you hadn't noticed, everyone is suffering now, (except the fat cats whose profits are rising nicely.) There's nothing wrong with hoping that employers recognise some responsibility for the people they employ.

I hate the argument that we should sink to the employment conditions of other countries in order to compete. have you seen the conditions some of these workers live in - do you really want to see that here?

Followed to its logical conclusion we will all be living on a bowl of rice a day.

here here annab well said :thumbsup: i can just imagine in years to come when ash and hillpigs grandkids start work on zero hour contracts and cant afford to rent/buy a house and they turn to their grandads and say why is this happening ? they will say well once upon a time unions in this country had some power and kept bosses in line to stop them doing what they wanted . then a lady prime minister came along and she didnt like what the unions were doing and decided to stop these nasty men from having so much power and destroyed them (with the help of the police). so there you go grandson/granddaughter the zero hour working man/woman have nothing left to show for it :huh:. now stick the kettle on and make a cuppa for your grandad oh wait the phones ringing and you got to go to work now what on a sunday afternoon at 4 oclock well you just think yourself lucky we got zero hour contracts :hihi:

It will be unnecessary for my grandchildren to work, unless they want to. Due to my previous hardwprk and wise investment I am very rich. My capital is well hedged and they will benefit from it.

Capitalism works. I love the smell of £50 notes in the morning, it smells of victory!

Yay, the Red Army has arrived :D

here here annab well said :thumbsup: i can just imagine in years to come when ash and hillpigs grandkids start work on zero hour contracts and cant afford to rent/buy a house and they turn to their grandads and say why is this happening ?

As I've said before, I've often done this type of work, and I've never been jobless or homeless, and I could buy a house now if I wanted.

they will say well once upon a time unions in this country had some power and kept bosses in line to stop them doing what they wanted .

I'll tell them the truth.

then a lady prime minister came along and she didnt like what the unions were doing and decided to stop these nasty men from having so much power and destroyed them (with the help of the police). so there you go grandson/granddaughter the zero hour working man/woman have nothing left to show for it :huh:.

Bold, you said it.

-

Why would I lie to them?

I'll share with them what I know, which is that Britain had good industry once, and eventually unions held them back, thinking they were doing good. What they actually were doing was merely stalling the inevitable sinking ship, as we were gradually being under-cut by countries with fewer rules and regulations, and cheaper labour.

now stick the kettle on and make a cuppa for your grandad oh wait the phones ringing and you got to go to work now what on a sunday afternoon at 4 oclock well you just think yourself lucky we got zero hour contracts :hihi:

I'll also show them evidence of different societal structures, and will show them (if they aren't too thick) that once there were people posting what is tantamount to communistic idealism, who spout on and on about things that just aren't possible, and/or are proven not to work.

If they are very young I would expect them to disagree, or feel differently - because in life, the younger you are, generally the more anarchistic you are. They can use the information any way they want. I won't dictate to them.

I'll even date it for them 2/8/13.:hihi:

I believe that any person who does not take a job which they are capable of doing should have all benefits stopped.

If they are available for work and no work is available they should be assisted. I do not consider such a person a scrounger, I admire such a person and m happy to see my taxes go to help them. As long as they work when they can.

I trust this correctly states my opinion.

I wonder what advice you might offer to a single parent with two children renting a two bedroom terrace in Heeley or Hillsborough for £350 per calendar month who has experienced two weeks without income on a zero hour contract?

It will be unnecessary for my grandchildren to work, unless they want to. Due to my previous hardwprk and wise investment I am very rich. My capital is well hedged and they will benefit from it.

Capitalism works. I love the smell of £50 notes in the morning, it smells of victory!

We can't build a society in a very competitive world on idleness. You must understand that?

In case you hadn't noticed, everyone is suffering now, (except the fat cats whose profits are rising nicely.)

You mean in this country? No they aren't.

-

Why obsess on fat cats so often? Some people are very rich, and there always has been. So what? If you spend your life comparing your life against the richest people then you will always feel poor.

There's nothing wrong with hoping that employers recognise some responsibility for the people they employ.

I never said there wasn't. That's not what you said though. You said 'I see no reason why a company cannot operate efficiently with full time and part time staff on regular hours, like we managed welll enough with for years'

To which I responded that fewer people would be employed if this was the case.

Are you saying then that you are in favour of fewer people being in employment? (see, I can use fallacious logic too :))

I hate the argument that we should sink to the employment conditions of other countries in order to compete. have you seen the conditions some of these workers live in - do you really want to see that here?

You can hate whatever argument you want - but I never said we should sink to the employment conditions of other countries.

bold: Of course not. Why write things like this? Is misquoting or mis-thinking your forte?

But, it can't be ignored. This happens globally, and when a country such as China brings in similar working practices as ours, then their trade will move to the next country who ARE prepared to work undercut them.

Followed to its logical conclusion we will all be living on a bowl of rice a day.

What logic you're using, I don't know.

Just to counter and add more bad reasoning, I shall employ appeal to emotion back at you, and say that many many people on this planet would be very happy to have this much food.

In case you hadn't noticed, everyone is suffering now, (except the fat cats whose profits are rising nicely.) There's nothing wrong with hoping that employers recognise some responsibility for the people they employ.

No one is suffering that wants to work. What's wrong with employees doing their bit and taking some responsibility for their employers?

Unless we work harder and better your predictions will come true. You might be glad[ of a bowl of rice a day.

---------- Post added 02-08-2013 at 23:59 ----------

We can't build a society in a very competitive world on idleness. You must understand that?

I know that, I just like winding the commies up. Sorry.

---------- Post added 03-08-2013 at 00:00 ----------

I wonder what advice you might offer to a single parent with two children renting a two bedroom terrace in Heeley or Hillsborough for £350 per calendar month who has experienced two weeks without income on a zero hour contract?

Get a job.

I would advise anything to stay there as £350 a month for a 2 bed terrace in Heeley OR Hillsborough is a very good price.

Hopefully the universal credit will help people like this. The current benefit system doesn't encourage [most] people to work in any job in that position, let a lone a short term contract or 0 hour one.

Archived