Sports Direct 90% of staff on 0 hour contracts

maybe the answer is 0 hour contracts should not be allowed except with small businesses or where there is a clear case that the business demands it ie the amount of staff hours needed each month varies over a certain %.

It appears the worst of the bunch is McDonalds being potentially the largest zero-hours employer in the UK’s private sector.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/they-wont-be-lovin-it-mcdonalds-admits-90-of-employees-are-on-zerohours-contracts-without-guaranteed-work-or-a-stable-income-8747986.html

Some say it works for them, but I suspect this is a situation where a good thing for a minority is financially beneficial to the company so they impose it on the majority.

I think that if someone is working regular hours for more than a month, this should be their contract and if the hours are not guaranteed after this time, but could be, the employer should give them rolling fixed term contracts.

As I have stated earlier, I might have some sympathy if a struggling small or medium enterprise was making use of zero hour contracts. But for a giant multinational there can be no excuse. They must employ thousands of staff and will always need them, 24 hours a day in many of their outlets.

I think that is evidence enough that there is something very cynical going on here.

Well spotted WeX!

It says in there...

McDonald’s employs 92,000 staff in the UK, and has admitted to using zero-hours contracts ever since it entered the UK in 1974.

So was it an issue over these last 39 years? I can't recall any massive complaints in the past about the use of them. In fact I can't recall a single complaint by any McDonald's staff. Since they are one of the biggest employers in the country, you'd think it would be a big deal.

Where are all the threads and posts of disgust prior to this last month?

I'm getting a feeling...

It says in there...

So was it an issue over these last 39 years? I can't recall any massive complaints in the past about the use of them. In fact I can't recall a single complaint by any McDonald's staff. Since they are one of the biggest employers in the country, you'd think it would be a big deal.

Where are all the threads and posts of disgust prior to this last month?

I'm getting a feeling...

Good question *_ash_*. My first encounter with the phenomenon was in the context of a local authority workstream that had been transferred to social enterprise contractors in the spring of 2012. I was horrified by the implications for front line staff.

I am amazed to hear that it has been going on since the seventies.

Good question *_ash_*. My first encounter with the phenomenon was in the context of a local authority workstream that had been transferred to social enterprise contractors in the spring of 2012. I was horrified by the implications for front line staff.

I am amazed to hear that it has been going on since the seventies.

The earliest I can recall doing it is early 90s. I never got less than full-time hours though (or thereabouts). So I never even thought of it. I never considered it career type work.

maybe the answer is 0 hour contracts should not be allowed except with small businesses or where there is a clear case that the business demands it ie the amount of staff hours needed each month varies over a certain %.

I don't have an issue with that other than it could be a real pain to administer.

A simpler way may be to allow them but with a no recourse to public funds stipulation. So anyone taking a zero hour contract accepts no access to any in work benefit to which they are not entitled other than by contribution. Obviously refusal to take such a contract could not attract sanction for those looking for work and I think if we did that, and dealt with the foreign problem, we would see these abusive contracts disappear rather quickly.

The earliest I can recall doing it is early 90s. I never got less than full-time hours though (or thereabouts). So I never even thought of it. I never considered it career type work.

It seems to me that in many areas all career structures have gone out the window. Once stuck at the bottom end, that seems to be where you will stay. Another reason for the drop in Social mobility.

It seems to me that in many areas all career structures have gone out the window. Once stuck at the bottom end, that seems to be where you will stay. Another reason for the drop in Social mobility.

Not really, I worked doing jobs where they were needing staff. I looked for the work, and easily found it.

As it happens I don't any longer as I found and have a stable job now. But I'm always aware that circumstances and the market might change, and I'll have to look for work again in the future.

I also took my taxi badge, and keep it up to date, so in theory while I'm able to work, I will never be out of it, as I can buy another cab. That was my insurance policy.

Your pathetic attempts at appealing to emotion are typical of Labour MPs. Are you one?

I have had some pretty harsh things directed at me here on this forum over the months. Some people are none too restrained. But I don't mind. I don't easily take offence.

But to suggest I might be a Labour MP, even in jest – that is going a little bit too far.

I have had some pretty harsh things directed at me here on this forum over the months. Some people are none too restrained. But I don't mind. I don't easily take offence.

But to suggest I might be a Labour MP, even in jest – that is going a little bit too far.

Is this some kind of guilt trip? :hihi:

Perhaps I should have used a : hihi : smiley after it.

I even edited it to show my comments were in jest.

-

I thought your post that I quoted was pretty harsh to me. You questioned my reasoning skills, using poor reasoning skills yourself (#198 use of 2 cases in sentence 1, and straw man in sentence 2) - A common sight amongst Labour speakers. If you can't see it, then not much I can do about it.

Even tho my earlier posts go on about the crappy way I've been treated, 0 hours on a freelance basis works for people who are retired on a decent pension or for a semi retired person who are happy if they are not required one week, my anger is those in between who want part time but are vindicated against if they do something in between, I fall in the latter.

Archived