Help for hero - bradley manning

Don't normally get involved in this sort of thing but, I have to say I'm amazed that people are calling him a hero. In the war people like him and less were put against a wall and shot, saw him on TV other day he looked like a weasel in a uniform.

Deserves all he gets, had it been in this country the same ones defending him, would want him hanging from the tower.

Nope, nothing like Manning

His enemies will continue to use these tactics simply because they've run out of ideas though, or the tactics are used by people with no ideas.

The hero concept tends to not get beyond the stereotype.

I don't suppose he'd read every word of the mountain of documents, it'd take about a 100.000 years. he knew he was exposing the truth he was privy to - that the war was nasty and brutal, that the people of the world were being deceived by slick propaganda, that children & civilians were dying in large numbers, that a gung ho mindset was operating and encouraged leading to the unnecessary deaths of huge numbers of non combatants.

he knew that.

So basically he knew nothing about the information he was leaking. Leaked everything he had access to in the hope something was there.

I believe that some information is confidential for a reason. Much military and intelligence information has to be confidential for obvious reasons. Ditto confidential diplomatic traffic. Manning did not uncover a great wrong and put it out to the world, he downloaded every single thing he had access to and just chucked it our there regardless of the consequences. He's no a more a whistleblower than someone in the NHS putting everyones medical records online in the hope that some of them might reveal something dodgy would be.

He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy.

If they've done nothing wrong they should have nothing to hide?

as you say yourself, ' I've nowt to hide '

some info is confidential for a reason- it is often to hide unlawful, immoral and disgusting actions that would rightly be an embarassment when revealed.

I do kinda agree with the argument though that he just wholesale grabbed info, I wonder how much/if any was vetted before it was released into the world?

If they've done nothing wrong they should have nothing to hide?

as you say yourself, ' I've nowt to hide '

some info is confidential for a reason- it is often to hide unlawful, immoral and disgusting actions that would rightly be an embarassment when revealed.

I do kinda agree with the argument though that he just wholesale grabbed info, I wonder how much/if any was vetted before it was released into the world?

Intelligence agencies, the military and diplomats have huge amounts of stuff that they legitimately have to keep confidential for perfectly sound reasons, only a fool would argue otherwise.

What avalanche of "unlawful immoral disgusting" stuff has been revealed by the wholesale breach of trust?

Hypothetical situation, what if he was a German intelligence officer during WW2 and was revealing to the world how Nazi Germany was exterminating millions of Jews.

He would be a despicable traitor for doing so? While the guys doing the gassing would be patriotic heroes who should be celebrated?

EDIT, sorry Frank, just noticed you made the same point.

great minds think alike waldo!!!

---------- Post added 31-07-2013 at 19:53 ----------

And you don't view that as grossly irresponsible?

have you not been reading the thread?

have you not been reading the thread?

Yes. So we have seen some very serious NHS problems come to light over the last few years, if a medical Manning who felt there were issues had managed to make everyones medical records available online in the hope that wikileaks could pour through them and identify a few dodgy goings on would you be supporting them? And if not, why not?

Yes. So we have seen some very serious NHS problems come to light over the last few years, if a medical Manning who felt there were issues had managed to make everyones medical records available online in the hope that wikileaks could pour through them and identify a few dodgy goings on would you be supporting them? And if not, why not?

the purpose of the leak was to lay bare the lies, deceit and propaganda of the US military - it worked, man down job done.

it didn't reveal plans for an atom bomb, he was a lowly operative, he didn't have access to that kind of stuff - he could expose and sting and he did bless him.

on the other hand, thanks to edward snowden, (another traitor/hero) the US collects ALL YOUR INFORMATION - this thread, your emails, your phone calls, your holiday pics etc etc etc.

the US right is calling him a traitor too, they want him up against a wall and shot - they have no respect for your privacy or mine, only their own -

having said that you haven't much to worry about - they'll like you, you fall for them.

Archived