Mr. Scrapman, can I have my cat trap back please?

There's less metal in the cat trap than in a Tesco handbasket - it's wire, it's worth about 50p scrap value to you.

To me, it means that this month, if I am to buy a new trap to catch the poor stray moggie that needs attention, then I can't afford do any transport runs to rescue, for pound dogs that are out of time and will be put to sleep, as I have to pay for a second vets visit this month for the previous stray with half an ear and an eye infection that I have taken in.

This means that a stray cat is left untreated, or lost dogs get destroyed.

If you think that's worth the 50p profit then fine..

If you do think you could live without that 50p, help to save animals that need help, and would like to just put the trap (3 foot long wire box) back where you find it then thank you and we'll say no more about it.

The Police have in the past prioritised metal theft by scrap collectors yet they appear as often as they ever did. Leaving scrap metal out for these people is like leaving food out for rats and should be seen as anti-social. Feed them once and they will keep coming back.

Get real on this. Nobody's leaving anything out for them, they come onto your property and take anything they can find, garden furniture, kids toys, bbq. Or in the worst cases, they come equipped with croppers, break into sheds and garages, or liberate anything that's chained up.

They're shameless even when challenged and the police are too slow in responding to call outs. Presumably because they're low on numbers and have more important things to do.

Get real on this. Nobody's leaving anything out for them, they come onto your property and take anything they can find, garden furniture, kids toys, bbq. Or in the worst cases, they come equipped with croppers, break into sheds and garages, or liberate anything that's chained up.

They're shameless even when challenged and the police are too slow in responding to call outs. Presumably because they're low on numbers and have more important things to do.

My experience with scrapmen is different to yours so i'll not be as damning. We had an old cooker sitting out the back for two weeks just inside the back gate. It was easily visible and very accessible.

A local scrapman tried our doorbell on three separate occasions until finally he got to ask if he could take it.

Now I admit that such an instance will be rare but it happened to me and based on that I have to draw the conclusion that he conducts himself in this way wherever he goes.

My experience with scrapmen is different to yours so i'll not be as damning. We had an old cooker sitting out the back for two weeks just inside the back gate. It was easily visible and very accessible.

A local scrapman tried our doorbell on three separate occasions until finally he got to ask if he could take it.

Now I admit that such an instance will be rare but it happened to me and based on that I have to draw the conclusion that he conducts himself in this way wherever he goes.

Or possibly it was too heavy to quickly throw in the van without being caught so he played it safe and took the chance you'd say yes.

---------- Post added 31-07-2013 at 09:59 ----------

This is definitely how the average scrapman works. I once told someone that they'll not find anything of value in our garden once when I caught them there. I was greated with abuse and he threatened to attack me even walked towards me in a threatening way. They are scum. End of.

There's less metal in the cat trap than in a Tesco handbasket - it's wire, it's worth about 50p scrap value to you.

To me, it means that this month, if I am to buy a new trap to catch the poor stray moggie that needs attention, then I can't afford do any transport runs to rescue, for pound dogs that are out of time and will be put to sleep, as I have to pay for a second vets visit this month for the previous stray with half an ear and an eye infection that I have taken in.

This means that a stray cat is left untreated, or lost dogs get destroyed.

If you think that's worth the 50p profit then fine..

If you do think you could live without that 50p, help to save animals that need help, and would like to just put the trap (3 foot long wire box) back where you find it then thank you and we'll say no more about it.

When I 1st read the title I got the wrong impression, I hope you get it back you are doing a great job for strays and injured animals, if only there were more like you.

Credit to you Squiggs

Pete

I've also had them knock and ask. But, I've also had them help themselves to my property, including one attempt to liberate my property from the side of my garage when I was working in it.

Or possibly it was too heavy to quickly throw in the van without being caught so he played it safe and took the chance you'd say yes.

No it was a smallish cooker and he was a largish guy but even I could've thrown it onto the back of the van.

All I'm saying is it's not my experience of scrapmen so it isn't necessarily right to label them as being the same.

How do you know he rang on three separate occasions? Why did you not let him have it on the first "ring"?

Archived